"Beer Walls" Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

I don't know if this one has any other name, the ice climbers who climb it in the winter might have a name for it, but I haven't been able to find out what it might be. The "Beer Walls" are a set of cliffs that parallel Rt 73 through the valley between Giant Mtn and Round Mtn in the Adirondacks. The name was given by the rock climbers who frequent the area, so you can blame them. This fall only runs after significant rain, but it usually drips enough that by winter a huge icicle forms that sees a lot of action by ice climbers. You can easily see the falls from across the gorge, if they are running, with a fairly easy walk to the top of the cliffs from the roadside parking lots that the climbers use. If you want to get to the bottom of the falls, there is a trail down the edge of the cliffs and you can then follow a herd path through the jumble of giant boulders at the bottom of the gorge to the other side where you better have a wide angle lens to catch just the bottom section of the falls, because there's no room to back into the trees very far.

This document is the rock climber's guide to the beer walls, but the map in it can be useful for anyone who wants to see the falls. Remember, if it didn't rain a lot the day before you get there, you'll probably not see much.

Google Map
LGD
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Wow, that's tall!
skiboarder72
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Nikon D50, 18-200mm VR, 11-16mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, SB-600

wow! thats a beautiful waterfall :up:
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

I'll have to check it out on my next trip north.
nice shots
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Thanks. Roaring Brook is just down the road, on the other side, and gets all the attention :-) well, at least it usually has water, this one, only after a good rain.
LGD
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

Is this Beer Walls Falls?
Attachments
ISO 5000 f3.5 1/160
ISO 5000 f3.5 1/160
20150930-IMG_6197.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 31248 times
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

No, that looks like one of the rivulets that runs off Round Mountain into Chapel Pond. The Beer Walls are downhill from the pond, there are a couple of pullouts on the left going down after you pass the road to the outlet of the pond. The first pullout is smaller, but just downhill from it is the access trail to the climbing area. There are trails running all over, but for a nice view of the falls and some mountains, take the right fork once you get up near the outhouse (if it hasn't been moved), then up over the hilltop to some lookouts. You can also be adventurous and follow the valley from the outlet of Chapel Pond, which is a cool hike, but rugged.
LGD
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

Thanks for the info. I didn't think it looked quite right. Pretty cool falls though. Next time if I am in the area and if it rains I will check the real beer walls out.