Falls in Hannacroix Ravine

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

vermontdreams
Rookie
Camera Model: Nikon D80

We were at Hannacroix yesterday. There was still a lot of snow and ice on the ground, and the edge of the cliff was very slippery. I'd estimate the drop at about 100 feet. We saw the view that Jeduthan posted, but it was too dangerous to get any closer.

L.G.D. - we saw what looked like a wide side ravine that led down to the creek maybe 1/3 of a mile or so to the left of the falls. It was too slippery to attempt yesterday, but is this the "way down" that you were talking about? We actually took the red trail all the way down (maybe 1 mile?) to the water but walked the rim of the ravine back to where the falls are, then back to our car. I suppose it would be easy to creek walk back up the creek in the summer.

I've also seen other pics on the internet that look like a shorter falls, does anyone know anything about that?

Joe
vermontdreams
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Yes, I would imagine it would be slippery this time of year, even when it's more dry, it's still not the most stable area. As I recall, I walked from the parking area to where the trail leads closest to the ravine, then walked into the woods and found a way down the ravine that wasn't too tricky, but still a bit of a scramble. It may be the side ravine you mention, I can't be sure. The first time I was there, I walked the trail down to where it crosses the stream below the ravine and then walked up to the falls, but that was summer and there was no water at all.
LGD