Cradle of Aviation/Glenn Curtiss

Photographic catalog of New York State Historical Markers - Discussion and submissions

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Howard, this has been scheduled to be posted this month. If you can update those last photos with the proper name mark, then those will go in as well. Any other additional information/historic photos (public domain) will also be accepted by anyone else who wants to contribute. Thanks!
swan5549
Rookie
Camera Model: Nikon D3s /Nikno D300

Kelly & Matt,
Once again I am submitting a number of re-sized, Labeled, and a new sign to close out this submission once & for all!

Dealing with the new signs first: this site has two NYS educational signs, posted in two different time periods. My original intent and, submission was to combine both the signs has one photograph. But as time went along more negative issues continued to encroach that intent, and it is at this point I’ve decided to submit separately each one of those signs as a single identity.

The GPS coordinates has been included in the submission, is exclusively for the “Glenn Curtiss” biographical sign, which in Hammondsport is on the main thoroughfare going from Hammondsport to town of Bath. I have submitted that address. The other state sign which is on the Museum grounds approximately one hundred yards away from the road is something you could use or reject but I will not be with this letter including any GPS coordinates for that item. I’m not at all sure what history is, of the “cradle of aviation” sign but I suspect it’s in celebration of some sort when the state bestowed this particular title dealing with the history of early American aviation on the town of Hammondsport.
The other photographs that are now included, give a brief visual of the outside of the Museum they should pretty much explain themselves.

One last explanation, there is one photographic included in this group which is a metal sculpture of a pilot in his airplane given the illusion of flying on the shores Lake Keuka. This item has historical significance in that Glenn Curtiss along with Alexander Graham Bell (same Bell who invented the telephone) conducted in this very location, the first naval aviation trials for what was then called by Curtiss himself the “flying boat.” Every summer the Museum puts on a “flying boat” celebration and demonstration celebrating that historical event. Aviation buffs fly in at this time with their aircraft to pay homage to this aviation event, and later fly in mass circling the final resting place of Glenn Curtiss himself at the other end, of Keuka Lake.
One final note, Feel free to use all, part, or for that matter not at all, for presentation on your website. For yours truly, this is my final submission dealing with the subject, I have become quite weary of trying to perfect this particular subject, to a point that it’s no longer enjoyable!

Sincerely yours………. Howard
Attachments
June-Bug-metal-art-dipay-out-side-Curtiss-museum-pg.jpg
June-Bug-metal-art-dipay-out-side-Curtiss-museum-pg.jpg (326.17 KiB) Viewed 9975 times
Glenn-Curtiss-NYS-department-of-Education-sign.jpg
Glenn-Curtiss-NYS-department-of-Education-sign.jpg (303.67 KiB) Viewed 9975 times
Entrance-to-the-Glenn-Curtiss-Museum-Hammsport-NY.jpg
Entrance-to-the-Glenn-Curtiss-Museum-Hammsport-NY.jpg (330.13 KiB) Viewed 9975 times
Curtiss-museum-sign_A-jpg.jpg
Curtiss-museum-sign_A-jpg.jpg (298.24 KiB) Viewed 9975 times
Cradle-of-avation-NYS-education-sign.jpg
Cradle-of-avation-NYS-education-sign.jpg (326.08 KiB) Viewed 9975 times
Curtiss-C-47-transport-static-museum-grounds-display.jpg
Curtiss-C-47-transport-static-museum-grounds-display.jpg (861.22 KiB) Viewed 9975 times
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

looks great.
thank you!
Will go up soon.
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Thanks, Howard, for helping us finalize this post. We expect this topic to be popular with our readers! :up:

Apologies if our quality control requests have gotten you down. As always, the detailed instructions are there to guide you. If you are able to follow them from the get-go, frustration is lessened for all parties. Many thanks!
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

This has been posted and can be viewed here.
http://nyhistoric.com/2013/08/cradle-of ... n-curtiss/

No post on NYH is ever truly final. This topic will remain open and can be added to at any time. Simply post your additions here.

Thank you again, Howard for your hard work on this!!
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic