Platte Clove - March 2012

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

TobiasTicetonyk
Rookie
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 770 SW

I am posting more pictures here, from June 2010, for your reference and stuff like that. Next time I hike through the area, I will obtain GPS coordinates and data concerning the vegetation and ecology of the stream. Maybe that information can be of use to that awesome world waterfall project.

All pictures:
June, Devil's Kitchen http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 844&type=3
October, Black Chasm and Indian Head Mountain http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 844&type=3

Select pictures that radiate awesomeness (but check out all the pictures on my facebook links, there are some very cool ones.:

Icebox, again

Gray Rock Falls? This is the waterfall downstream from Greene Falls / The Ghost. Big, deep swimming hole beneath this one (every waterfall downstream from this also has a fantastic swimming hole. Every waterfall upstream from here is not deep enough to truly swim in

Another shot of Gray Rock(?) - I call this one Lexifer's Plunge. Notice the eroded cave behind the waterfall.

Greene Falls / The Ghost. In my above post, I have pictures looking down at this. The top cliff you can see in this picture is where I was standing a few weeks ago. Hell Hole Confluence Waterall (lower rainbow?) is upstream from this cascade.

Bad quality photograph, but this is Red Rock canyon or whatever you people call it. This is really a spectacular section of the valley, this photo does it no justice. At the bottom of this part of the stream, there is a swimming hole. Red sandstone and shale cliffs rise for hundreds of feet to the right of this. The photo below this is the swimming hole.

Ok, I'm back downstream now. A cool picture of Honolulu. I have no idea what the name of this is supposed to be. In the 1980s, a NYSDEC Forest Ranger told my father, who was hanging out here at the time, that this place is called Honolulu. We stuck with that.

Thar be Black Chasm Falls!!! This is from October, 2011. The confluence for Black Chasm Creek, whatever it's called, is just upstream from Icebox (not too far downstream from Gray Rock(?) falls / Lexifer's Plunge. If one looks at a map, Black Chasm is the stream coming down from between Plattekill and Indian Head Mountains. Just east of this stream, there is another indent into the slope. I call this "The Flume". Stream size, it is a brook, but it is truly incredible. It's literally a flume carved into the bedrock, rushing down the mountain, with all kinds of crazy twists and turns. Its confluence is directly downstream from Icebox. It's my drinking water source when I camp in there. As for Black Chasm, It really is a black chasm. So amazing. There are no other waterfalls in the stream, but there are plenty of big boulder dams that make little cascades, a picture of which is below.b]

DO THIS BEFORE IT IS CHANGED!!! Google has updated satellite imagery following Hurricane Irene. It just so happened that the time of day was PERFECT for platte clove (besides black chasm... obviously). Every waterfall past Honolulu is visible (Honolulu is below a big mudslide). Icebox is just downstream from the black chasm confluence, is is in a 90 degree curve in the stream, and is kind of a black square. Pretty cool to do this on Google Earth.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Wow...my kind of place! Would love to check this out.

[quote="L_G_D"] Anyway, as I've said before, when I get the courage and ambition, I plan to hike Platte Clove from the bottom and either come out Hell's Hole or more likely Black Chasm and try to record all the falls along the way.[\ quote]

If you'd like company, perhaps we could arrange a date. I would really like to check this out, however due to the remoteness and terrain wouldnt try it solo.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
SunfallsNWatershine
Rookie
Camera Model: Iphone4 & Galaxy s3

I haven't been to Platte Clove yet, can anyone tell me which falls this is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnagraha ... 915226174/

I'm having a hard time finding enough info to know what to expect,
how to navigate here, and how long the paths take to hike. The search
results i've read so far range from "It's too dangerous, you'll definitely die...NEVER GO THERE!!"
to "just don't stray from the path, you'll be perfectly fine". My guess is the truth is somewhere midrange?
If it's really as dangerous as it's made out to be, hopefully there's someone here who can give me
some pointers. Also if anyone knows which waterfall that is ^ if it's accessible without risking my life,
which trail will i have to take (bushwack? descend a 200 ft. vertical cliff?) to get to it? What I'm hoping
to do is get in there and see the bigger falls here, and preferably get out without taking a whole day on it.
Not sure how possible that is though.
hobkyl

That appears to be Bridal Veil under low flow. I've visited the Clove twice in the past year and never found an obvious path down to the base of them. The only view I had was from across the gorge where Hells Hole comes in about 200' up. The upper falls are pretty easy to reach with a well defined path leading down from the Artists Residence. I hope to explore there more myself this fall. I will say that it definitely has the potential to be extremely dangerous but so can any other waterfall. Its all relative to your ability, and head on your shoulders.

There is an updated map for the Clove on this website outlining the location of the falls and rough trail locations.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
SunfallsNWatershine
Rookie
Camera Model: Iphone4 & Galaxy s3

unfortunately i can't find that map of the clove on this website.
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

SunfallsNWatershine wrote:unfortunately i can't find that map of the clove on this website.
Platte Clove Map

County-by-County listing of waterfalls - with links to all maps
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
hobkyl

Thanks Kelly, I was on mobile and was having a difficult time trying to accomplish sharing the link.
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Actually upon further research it appears the falls you posted look just like one of the falls here...

http://www.catskillsearch.com/site/2005 ... tte-clove/

Heading down Labor Day weekend and this hike might be on the agenda now.
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook