Valatie Falls, Columbia County

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

thanks to Steve for this tip...
The falls is located in Columbia County, NY in the village of Valatie - which is on the east side of the Hudson River between Albany and Hudson - and also N.E. of Stuyvesant falls along route 9.
Right in Valatie, where route 203 zig-zags through town (and over the river) there is a man-made damn with falls below it.

There were children swimming in the pool(s) below the falls while I was there.
Matt
President
President

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Nothing there Matt....
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
George
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Calumet 4x5

Today's useless knowledge: The Village gets it's name from the Dutch word "valatje", meaning "little falls". The correct pronunciation rhymes with "inertia"
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Kodak Easyshare C1450

I took this on a bike ride through Columbia County today. Almost too much water from all the rain over the past week. During the ride I stopped here, plus a waterfalls on private property, Stottville Falls, Stockport Falls, Chittenden's (Rossman) Falls, and Stuyvesant Falls. Valatie Falls has two parts, each topped with a dam, and viewable from the Route 203 bridge. There's a small park on the north side of the bridge where you can park and walk the 100 feet to the falls. You can also clamber under the bridge for a different view of the northern falls.
Attachments
Valatie.jpg
Valatie.jpg (160.59 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide

The second part of the falls. I think the building was a mill, perhaps now a residence, but I don't know for sure. The falls extends beyond the picture - this is the most I could get from the bridge. Underneath the building sits a large wheel (or sheave) with a belt on it. The center of the wheel looks shiny, which can only mean the wheel is used even today - otherwise the entire surface of the wheel would be dark with rust.
Attachments
Valatie2.jpg
Valatie2.jpg (181.77 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide

I was in the area again today, and though I try a different perspective.
Attachments
30milevalatie.jpg
30milevalatie.jpg (205.1 KiB) Viewed 1785 times
Matt
President
President

Great pics.
I wonder, if a residence, if they can hear, and are annoyed by the sound of the wheel shaft moving.. and if it's something they can turn off.