Emerson Gulf

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

North of Fellows Falls, in the county of Onondaga, town of Tully...
N 42.82789 W 76.16220

off of Woodmancy road, there's a pull off over a bridge, and a pain in the ass scramble down the ravine to see the waterfalls - numerous cascades - and I didn't get all the way to the bottom. Beautiful views into the Tully Valley too...

Here's the top - low waterflow, we haven't had rain, but it looks like it flows all year long...
And then the nicer drop lower down - probably about 15-19' slide:

Now, I would assume this isn't the 'Cascades of Tully' - which I can't find, and I really have no idea where it is....so, this must be a new one that needs to be documented. There are slight traces of walking trails, but it's not an easy hike by any means, I had to climb the waterfalls in a few points.

I should have enough shots and can go back when water level gets up for a short page on it...
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

This lack fo rain is killing me.
Matt
President
President

I couldn't find any info on Emerson Gulf.
I'll list it and put the property status as unknown.

It's definitely not The Cascades, which is here
Matt
President
President

Though I see the topo has "Salt Wells" at the bottom of the gully. Interesting.
bish
Junior
Junior

Matt,
I just posted to the Fellows Falls listing and will add some info here regarding Emerson Gulf. As a native to the immediate area, I hiked these falls as a youngster quite a bit along with Fellows Falls. Both are off Woodmancy Rd., named for my ancestors who settled this area around 1810. We're into eight generations now of living within about 2 miles from these falls.

Emerson gulf is accessed from a parking area on the lower side of the road with a short hike down the bank to the first waterfall. Further down is the big long cascade which I believe is well over 100' long with a series of drops and turns ending at a small 4' deep pool at the bottom. It is a mix of Tully Limestone and shale with mature trees lining a very steep ravine. This creek empties into Onondaga creek further down in Tully Valley. There are interesting rock shelves and cuts along the stream below the big cascade. Due to land subsidence, the creek actually disappears underground for a distance before reappearing gradually as the streambed reaches the valley. The best time to hike this gorge is when water flow is low because the ravine itself is extremely steep. The falls itself is usually the easiest way down and up. I emphasize this is a somewhat dangerous climb and people have been seriously hurt attempting it when the rock is wet and slippery.

Another concern is the open fault lines that have opened up in the wooded areas especially to the north and east areas of the stream. This is due to the subsidence of the land from the years of salt mining below through the brine wells in the valley. These cracks in the earth are deep and some run hundreds of feet in length, parallel to the Tully Valley. Leaves and debris can cover them and you need to be very careful and vigilant.

I am told there was a mill located just below the road at the first main waterfall, and I believe you can still see signs of it today. Not sure what type, grist mill, lumber,? A few years ago, Honeywell had this ravine logged and the lower areas do have some logging trails now, but I haven't had a chance to explore these to see if better access is provided by them.

The area from this ravine all the way to Fellows Falls on this side of the road is all Honeywell property along with quite a bit more lining the valley. I think a few thousand acres total. A recent presentation held at the Tully School by Bill Kappel, a geologist who has been in charge of studies of the Tully Valley area, including the Tully mudboils, and the land subsidence, was very interesting. If you google the Tully Valley Mud slide you can read more about these.
Matt
President
President

Again, thank you for the wonderful information. I have yet to hike there myself, but I'm hoping to check it out next spring. Thanks for posting this!
Mark J
Senior
Senior

Bish,

What can you tell us about the other gully in the Woodmancy Rd., Tully area, Rattlesnake Gulf? I creekwalked this once in August, 2003 and am aware of the April 2005 landslide that temporarily rerouted the creek. Any insight you can offer about access -- both physical access and legal access -- would be appreciated.

Mark J
bish
Junior
Junior

Mark,
I'm not sure about the current status. I asked around last night while at a friends house, who happens to be a local assessor.
He thinks the property may have changed hands to a relative of the earlier owner. I'll try and find out more. Liability may be a factor as someone was killed there a few years ago in a drowning incident.