Edwards Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

boriscleto
Rookie

Cattitude wrote:I've been told about Edward's Falls and Old Dam, however I'm confused because I've heard from locals a couple of different stories. I've been told that "Old Dam" is what USED to be Edward's Falls before they dammed it up and made it into a dinky dam-thing. So basically Edward's Falls is no longer in existence (?!), and what many people refer to as "Edward's Falls" is actually Brickyard Falls, named after an old brickyard whose power source came from the waterfall. So what's the story? I hiked down the gully behind Suburban the other day and followed Limestone Creek until I could not go any further due to rough terrain and inadequate footwear (I'm going back ASAP with all the proper gear and I WILL CROSS THAT CREEK AND FEAST MY EYES ON THOSE FALLS!) I also tried approaching from Pompey Center Rd. and got a view of the very top of the falls where there is a "Private Property" sign strung across the entire width of the creek. Unfortunately whatever (eh hem, holding my tongue) "guy" built that house, built it very close to the waterfall and I didn't want to be a creepy trespasser.

So basically, is it Edward's Falls or Brickyard Falls? Is it true that "Old Dam" used to be the real "Edward's Falls" and what many refer to as Edward's is actually Brickyard?
The maps show the two falls to be in different places...

Edward's Falls are below the dam on Pompey Center Rd.. Brickyard Falls are below Brickyard Falls Rd. on the West Branch of Limestone Creek, about 2 miles away.

Both have houses above them.
MikeDeep
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: Canon 1D Mk II/III

Edwards Falls is not difficult to access. I lived in Suburban Park in 2005 and would make the hike up Limestone Creek regularly.

I'll try to outline the path here, but I haven't been back since 2010 and certain aspects may have changed depending on erosion and landslides.

You can pick up the trail from the South end of Suburban Park apartments (A). There is a paved path that runs into the woods. If you break West into the brush around where this pavement begins, you should pick up a small trail. This will proceed South until it hits a tree on a steep incline. That tree should have a rope attached to it that can be used to scale down the incline. If that rope is gone and you feel you can't scale the incline without it, you can proceed further South and zig-zag down shallower terrain to creek level.

At creek level you should encounter a very large felled tree laying parallel to the water (B). For now you'll want to stay on this East side of the creek where the ground is flat. As the creek turns East, the flat ground will begin taper off and you'll want to find a shallow or rock-littered crossing and switch sides (C).

Once you cross to the West side of the creek, you'll continue along level ground all the way to the falls. Here you'll find several small streams and the sulphur springs that were mentioned. The sulphur springs will likely be indicated by the presence of white bacterial mats in the water. Beyond that, you'll enter the 'campsite' (E) which had fallen into disrepair when I was last there in 2010. The path up the hill by the campsite simply leads into someone's backyard - Don't follow it.

If you stay on the East side of the creek, you'll encounter very narrow footing against a steep rock wall (D). This wall may have water running down it seasonally and could be slippery. This path is difficult until the creek resumes a North-South direction. The only reason to go this way would be to see the ruins gcs mentioned.

The old stone bridge:

The falls:
You can barely see it here, but when I went (July 2010) that silly sign was still strung across the pool and pretty much ruined the trip. I didn't bother getting closer once I saw it.

On that note, I have looked at the county records, and yes, the falls are on the same parcel as the adjacent house on Pompey Center Road. It is definitely private property.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Looks like I can see the rope strung across the creek in the distance in that last photo.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Excellent info! That stone bridge looks cool. I would love to photograph that in some eerie light.
Thanks for posting
MikeDeep
Junior
Junior

I have some new photos and an update to the info above.

The path behind Suburban Park is gravel, not pavement. I forgot that detail. The rope is gone, but the path down is still there. Recent rains have raised Limestone Creek to a level that may make crossing it or creek-walking up it difficult. I chose to hug the East wall all the way upstream, which wasn't easy while carrying a tripod. The trip is much easier if you can get across the creek downstream and use the flat ground on that side.

There are now three no trespassing signs all at different distances from the falls (One on a string again, two on posts). I think another look at the tax map might be in order to see where exactly the line is. You'd think the signs would be more productive up top, where people try to go diving.

Matt
President
President

Thanks for the update.
Are there posted signs along the trail that you had to pass to get those photos?
MikeDeep
Junior
Junior

There are none along the way, just at the base of the falls.

I've checked the tax map and apparently the property actually extends from Pompey Center Road all the way downstream to the area behind the Suburban Park apartments. You're on it as soon as you hit the banks of Limestone Creek. It almost seems like the signs were placed to ruin the efforts of any prospective photographers rather than prospective partiers. Plus they're totally ineffective at warning anyone of the land's status until they've hiked literally 20 minutes into it.

Here's a screenshot of the map. It's probably safe to mark this one as private property.

Matt
President
President

Ah.. ok. Good information. I'm going to be out that way and was wondering if it would be worth a profile page, but i think with the signs there and a strong board topic with good info is plenty.
Thanks!