Cradle of Aviation/Glenn Curtiss

Photographic catalog of New York State Historical Markers - Discussion and submissions

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

swan5549
Rookie
Camera Model: Nikon D3s /Nikno D300

New York State historic,

I would like to submit the following topic and submission for eventual approval.

Hammondsport New York small town south of Keuka Lake was the home Glen Curtiss an early aviation pioneer.
He started his road to success much the same as the Wright brothers, first beginning life in a small shop By inventing And improving multiple cylinder gasoline engines In which he applied to various mechanical devices. Some of those early engines were applied first to motorcycles and then to eventually include pioneering efforts in aviation. At one time Clint Curtis held the land speed record with the motorcycle of his own invention with a V-eight engine,And set a land speed record in 1907 of the top speed of 136 miles an hour plus!

Within the year, he eventually branched out his engine building experiments to eventually include of his own build early American aircraft one such airplane is called the "June bug."

I submit the following sign(s) to begin the submission which is located at the Glenn Curtiss Museum. There are actually at this spot two such signs erected at two different time periods one in 1936, and the other in 1957, by the state Department of Education of New York.I will Upon the approval of the submission some more photographs for its eventual support.

Sincerely yours,

Howard Fritzke Junior
Attachments
Glenn-Curtiss_Cradle-of-aviation_-350-KB-sized--sign_-.jpg
Glenn-Curtiss_Cradle-of-aviation_-350-KB-sized--sign_-.jpg (338.62 KiB) Viewed 9507 times
Last edited by Kelly on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected spelling of Curtiss in subject line
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Thanks Howard. It's a good start

Title
Check

As accurately as possible, please type up the text found on the marker (but don't use all CAPS).
- Be sure to check and make sure you typed the text accurately.
- Use sentence case
- Capitalize proper nouns
- Do not add punctuation if it is missing
- Do not correct mistakes
- Do not expand abbreviations.
- Do not include the "erected by..." line here.

Date the marker was erected / by whom?
This is often at the bottom of the sign.
Example: "By the County of Monroe — 1959"
If it isn't on the marker, say "Unknown"

Briefly describe what's on or around this site now.
check

The address (for driving purposes)
If you don’t know the exact address, use approximate. You can also type the GPS information into Google Maps and it should give you an address range, which we will accept. Zip code is not needed here (this is just for driving directions).

The county this marker is in
This helps us categorize it properly. To get this, I usually type in the village into Google and read what it says in wikipedia.

GPS Coordinates OF THE MARKER ITSELF
We need to be able to plot the location of the marker accurately on a map. For this we need GPS coordinates of the marker itself. Within 50 ft, ideally. If you don’t have a GPS device, you can map out the GPS coordinates using a website such as ACME Mapper or iTouchMap.

Latitude*
Decimal notation XX.xxxx

Longitude*
Decimal notation XX.xxxx

Photos of the surroundings would be helpful.
Last edited by Kelly on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Latitude & longitude must be in decimal form.
swan5549
Rookie

Over the next few days I will be submitting supporting photographs and manuscripts for the site.
One last inquiry, does this particular JPEG fit within the parameters of the kilobyte size requirements?
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

swan5549 wrote: does this particular JPEG fit within the parameters of the kilobyte size requirements?
Yes. It looks good. Dimension wise, it's just a hair over our recommended size on its longest edge. Something to remember for next time. But this one will be just fine. Thanks for asking!
1. Dimensions on the long side of the photo: 800 to 1200 pixels (It doesn't matter what the actual dimensions are, as long as the longest side of your photo is within that range of pixels.
3. Compressed enough to load fast. Saving out to file sizes from 150 to 350 KB. The faster the better, but don't ruin the quality of your image.
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President

Here's an old book on the topic of Curtiss
http://www.archive.org/stream/curtissav ... 2/mode/2up
swan5549
Rookie

Hammondsport New York Cradle of Aviation
(1st sign posting)
Glenn H. Curtiss
Born Hammondsport 1878
early maker of motorcycle
and airplane engines-flew
successfully airplanes and
hydroplanes here 1908-1911
(2nd sign posting)
Cradle of
Aviation
Here Glenn H. Curtiss
Piloted “the June bug”
July 4. 1908
First kilometer flight

Note: Both of the signs posted by the state education of New York
On the grounds of what now is the Glenn Curtiss Museum.
1) Glenn Curtiss sign, posted 1957
2) cradle of aviation sign, posted 1932

Street address: 8419 State Rd.
Hammondsport, NY 14840

Next a County that this set of markers is located in is
Steuben County, New York State.

GPS coordinates of the street marker.
42.39833 -77.23167
(use of Acme mapper 2.0)

On this historic site in Hammondsport New York now stands the Glenn H. Curtiss Museum.
Within this museum is on display many original innovations and inventions of Glenn Curtiss. Items on display include original aircraft, motorcycles, reciprocating engines for both aircraft and motorcycles, and many common items that once belonged to Glenn Curtiss.

Throughout the year this museum has periodic events that the public is encouraged to watch and enjoy!

Short biography of Glenn Curtiss:
Glenn Curtiss: Born May 21, 1878-died July 23, 1930

Glenn Curtiss interests began much the same as the Wright brothers actually, began as a bicycle racer and a bicycle shop owner in the Hammondsport area in the late 1800s. Eventually he would take that interest in motorcycles, would develop an invented his own designs and would produce motorcycle engines. In 1906 created a V-8 powered motorcycle which in January 24, 1907 set a land speed record on Ormond Beach Florida of 136 miles an hour and change! The story goes that the fear of riding this creation and setting new this record that he never rode this motorcycle ever again. To this day one of his motorcycle inventions is still true to every motorcycle still produced and that is the twist grip throttle!

Around the 1900 time interval, Glenn Curtiss became interested in inventing and manufacturing a variety of aviation combustible engines. One of which was used in the first successful dirigible manufactured in the United States

Later inventor Alexander Graham Bell, invited Glenn Curtiss to invent powerful enough engine to be used at that time for “heavier than air aviation” experiments, and later was invited to join Bell’s “aerial experiment Association”. Through this association four aircraft of different designs were made including one by piloted Glenn Curtiss himself. That particular aircraft named the “June bug”, later went on to, win a number of very early aviation awards. Glenn Curtiss actually receives the first pilot’s license # one, from the Aero club of America.

Sometime later Glenn Curtiss was inspired by the United States government that aircraft could be used as a tool of war. He taught early aviation Army pilots, was involved in early naval aviation design and experiments. He is considered even till this day” the father of naval aviation.”

Shortly after world war one, Glenn Curtiss companies went to a financial re-organizational process, at that time Curtiss cashed out his stock and eventually moved to the state of Florida.
Attachments
Glenn-Curtiss-worlds-fastest-Human-_-1908_.jpg
Glenn-Curtiss-worlds-fastest-Human-_-1908_.jpg (332.93 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
Glenn-Curtiss-_Flying-boat_-Memorial.jpg
Glenn-Curtiss-_Flying-boat_-Memorial.jpg (351.55 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
Curtiss-JUNE-BUG-aircraft_.jpg
Curtiss-JUNE-BUG-aircraft_.jpg (346.62 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
1917-Curtiss-JN-4D-Jenny.jpg
1917-Curtiss-JN-4D-Jenny.jpg (336.84 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
Glenn-Curtiss_Cradle-of-aviation_-350-KB-sized--sign_-.jpg
Glenn-Curtiss_Cradle-of-aviation_-350-KB-sized--sign_-.jpg (338.62 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Some great information and interesting photos, Howard. Thanks so much! We will review it and be in touch. :up:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President

Howard, that's good info. One quick question on the sign photos.... are those signs located next to each other? About how far apart?