West Italy Hill Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Rope-REQUIRED! Otherwise you have a deathwish or are looking for a long stay in a hospital bed.

And yes that trail is a great workout. Steeper than most adk trails I've climbed.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
shanerk71
Rookie
Camera Model: Nikon D7000

I hiked to what I believe is the falls today. Parked at the FLT lot 1 mile south of Sliter Rd. Hike 1 1/2 mile into the "Outback Inn" shelter. From there I went around the bend and crossed the creek where there is a small 5' falls. On the other side I followed the creek downstream bearing north along the east rim where there was a clear, but non-blazed, trail for less than a quarter mile. This brought me to the bowl and I could see the falls very clearly from the rim. I walked out along the ridge to the end of a point where I could get some good shots.

This falls looked to be more like 80'. The rim is about 100' from the creekbed and steep and mud/dirt. Not anything really to hang onto and there is a 10' drop from the rim to the wall due to erosion but lots of roots so easy to traverse. For winter this is a non-technical climb with crampons and ice ax. I'd guess in summer its loose dirt and gravel. The slope is greater than 45 degrees. The west bank looked to be quite vertical but with lots of pine trees obscuring.

I've shared some photos on Flickr including my route. Is this the elusive West Italy Falls?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82842898@N ... 018404003/

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

If it is.... clearest shot i have seen of it. Kudos to you for hiking in the cold too.
shanerk71
Rookie
Camera Model: Nikon D7000

Actually I don't think it is because I was on the east side of Italy Valley. This one is the gully up behind Camp Koinonia. Looking at the topo I think there are at least two other significant falls downstream. I wonder what this creek/falls is called.