Bastion Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Bastion Falls is right along the road, a cute fall that really doesn’t get full recognition due to the more famous Kaaterskill falls. Bastion is a 60 to 80 foot fall with a larger upper fall and multiple lower falls. It sits on a hairpin cure on route 23A in the Catskill Mountains. The parking lot is about .2 miles up the road from the falls.

Upper Bastion Falls

The entire falls
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

great photos, especially that last one... really shows the texture of that rock outcropping.
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Thanks Matt
I had to waite for the people to leave to get the shots, being right on the road this fall gets a lot of people.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Agree with everything said. I was not impressed. Not much personality. I kind of found three falls in this Bastion Falls group. Maybe more water would have offered a sweeter experience.

Odd parking. Lot .2 of a mile past the falls. You walk on the side of the road with very little room while 18 wheelers cruise by.

David
Attachments
1st falls by road
1st falls by road
2nd falls
2nd falls
Third and last fall in group
Third and last fall in group
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Looks like you hit it at very low water, agreed, there isn't much there then. Higher water is nicer, and there's a lot of details to look around at, a general shot of the whole thing isn't much, but the individual sections have a lot more going on.

The walk there is fun, but since the road is so narrow there isn't much room. I try to stay on the other side of the guard rail on the uphill side as long as possible, then scoot quickly along the retaining wall to get past it as fast as possible, to avoid the aformentioned 18 wheelers, lol.
LGD
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Bastion Falls by hobkyl, on Flickr
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

I was looking at swinging by Bastion Falls on my recent trip out that direction. I wanted to do Kaaterskill, but I knew that hike would be too much to fit into my already kinda tight travel plans, so I figued Bastion would be a good "quick stop." Unfortunately, I got delayed starting out that morning and was delayed further by some detours around the flood damage, so I was already running late as it was when I got down that way. Taking the extra 15 mile trip out of my way wouldn't have worked out at all. If I hadn't been as hungry as I was, I would have skipped the lunch stop in Windham and gone to Bastion instead. :)
-----
spec
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

A great place to see. The walk down the road to get there is kind of dangerous and on my run back to the car to swing back and pickup my wife and daughter, it was raining quite hard, and cars come down that hill too fast! This falls has many great photo opportunities and is a great lead in to Kaaterskill Falls.
Attachments
bastion_5265.jpg
bastion_5265.jpg (314.95 KiB) Viewed 4378 times
bastion_5272.jpg
bastion_5272.jpg (235.32 KiB) Viewed 4378 times