Barberville Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

No claim jumping to worry about, getting the word out about publically accessible waterfalls is the important part, maybe we can get a link on the main page sometime. Love your fall color shots, I should get over there before all the leaves are gone.

Yeah, back in the day, it was the spot for parties, though I can't be 100% sure that people dragged actual kegs down there. I do know there was quite a bit of beer consumption considering all the bottles that used to be strewn around at one time. I remember going there several times when the road was practically blocked with cars parked on both sides. A hot summer day would see easily 100 or more people there. Also seemed to be more open areas around the bottom of the falls then, which has grown up in woods, brush, & poison ivy now. There would be lots of people swimming in the plunge pool, climbing the falls and jumping off, that sort of thing. That sort of thing is probably what prompted the neighbors to put up the obnoxious posted signs. Since the Nature Conservancy has owned it, I would guess the wild times are a thing of the past. When they first purchased the area, you used to be able to park 3 or 4 cars on the side of the road near the trail, but now they even have that blocked off and you have to park down on the main road across from the cemetery.
LGD
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Well, that's a bummer. Not surprising, but still a bummer.
LGD
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

BarberbvilleMap.jpg
BarberbvilleMap.jpg (179 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
Went to these falls recently. Most of the comments here ring true. Not sure I have even seen such hostile sign postings. The attached map describes the property/ownership and more words from me would add nothing more. Lots of water flow, you could cross the river with rock socks. I parked across from the cemetery as mentioned above and walked the 3/8 mile. Trail in, not long at all, but steep.

IMG_9561Top by ApproachingLight, on Flickr

IMG_9555 by ApproachingLight, on Flickr

IMG_9554 by ApproachingLight, on Flickr

IMG_9519 by ApproachingLight, on Flickr
Attachments
BarbervilleSign.JPG
BarbervilleSign.JPG (170.1 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Nice shots. No mention on the signs of the area being closed? I forget the date, and the link above no longer works.
LGD
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

I couldn't open that link. I sense it was not closed because I put my car on the road in full view and walked in front of some houses and even said hello to one of the neighbors across the street.There war no other posting that I saw than this.Hmm? Did I miss something?
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Found the original article:

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article ... 583114.php

Seems they are only closed in the summer? But it says the parking area was to be blocked off, and it obviously hasn't, unless they un-block it for the winter? If I get a chance, I'll head over there in the next few weeks and take a look.
Last edited by L_G_D on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
LGD
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

It is unfortunate that people ruin these places for all of us. ApproachingLight, great pictures I wish I would have had more time on my last trip to stop here.