Taughannock Falls State Park

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Taughannock Falls

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
4%
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip.
30%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
67%

Total votes: 27
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Great shots, Matt. When was that? I was hoping to get down there when ice was starting to form.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Matt wrote:I was hoping to get down there when ice was starting to form.

Wait until we hit another cold snap...went by yesterday and not much ice.

Did you know that they close the the overlook stairs in the winter? "Due to hazardous conditions" Yet, the gorge trail remains open, walking underneath all those large chunks of ice that could go at any time.... :shock:
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

State not responsible for death of woman in Tompkins County park rock slide, court rules
Published: Monday, June 11, 2012, 7:02 AM
By Jim O'Hara / The Post-Standard

Syracuse, NY - The state of New York cannot be held responsible for the death of a woman in a rock slide in Taughannock Falls State Park on the west shore of Cayuga Lake, a state appeals court has ruled.

In a 10-page decision, the state Supreme Court Appellate Division in Albany ruled Thursday the state had taken sufficient steps to protect visitors in the park by posting numerous signs warning hikers not to stray from designated trails.

That decision overturned Syracuse Court of Claims Judge Diane Fitzpatrick's June 2011 ruling that a trial was needed to decide the sufficiency of the warning signs in the park in Tompkins County.

Deborah Rowen, 51, of New Jersey, was standing in the plunge pool at the base of the 215-foot falls - in an area off limits to visitors - when she was struck in the head and buried beneath a rock slide from the face of the falls Aug. 22, 2005. She died later the same day in a hospital in Chemung County.

Her husband, Paul Arsenault, sued the state for Rowen's wrongful death and for injuries he and his two children sustained in the rock slide.

Read more here: http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/ ... _deat.html
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon 7D

Anyone in the Ithaca area know if these are flowing at all? Not sure if that area got as much rain as we did in the Delaware County region today, but trying to figure it out. I was considering driving up this weekend and hiking in, but don't want to do it if it's pretty much dry.
My photo blog: P.J.'s look at the world
My regular blog: A 'lil HooHaa
My flickr: HooHaa Photos

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

last week Taughannock was bone dry...we got an inch plus of rain, so not sure what happened recently....
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Our little creek was running for the first time all summer yesterday, but it's been sooo dry...
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon 7D

Well, maybe I'll call up there Saturday to see if anything is flowing. I think I am heading up, but I'm hoping I'll get to see some falls somewhere in town if I head up.

Anyone know if any falls around Ithaca are flowing?
My photo blog: P.J.'s look at the world
My regular blog: A 'lil HooHaa
My flickr: HooHaa Photos

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
GenevaHiker
Rookie

Stopped at Taughannock last weekend at dusk, and I thought I'd share a few pics of what the place looks like in late fall. We mostly walked on the rim trails, so these are mainly of the upper gorge area.
Attachments
w8.JPG
w8.JPG (1.58 MiB) Viewed 2640 times
w7.JPG
w7.JPG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 2640 times
w5.JPG
w5.JPG (1.68 MiB) Viewed 2640 times
w4.JPG
w4.JPG (1.29 MiB) Viewed 2640 times
w1.JPG
w1.JPG (1.54 MiB) Viewed 2640 times