Vernooy Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

A nice staircase type falls on the Vernooy Kill, just outside the town of Kerhonkson in Ulster County. Not very high, maybe 20 or 30 feet counting all the steps. It's a 3 mile hike round trip to see them, so it's worth it if you're in the area. We did these the same day we did Stony Kill Falls, which is just down the road, and over the ridge is Minnewaska State Park, which has a bunch of waterfalls. So, on a day trip, there's a lot to see in a fairly small area. We were there on a bright early spring day, clear blue sky and lots of sun for lots of contrast

This is a shot from the bottom of the three main steps

Another angle

This is a shot of the upper two steps from the top of the second step.

There are the remains of a old mill or some type of building there as well, though its been a while so I don't remember exactly what it was.
LGD
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Great pics! :up: Yes, I cant wait to get down to MSP...there is tons to see and do in that area.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
idlehands
Rookie
Camera Model: iPhone4s

In case anyone was wondering I believe you park at a lot located at 576 upper cherry town road in kerhonkson to fin these falls. i tried going today but it was super hot and buggy and kiddo was fascinated with running back and forth on one of the first bridges on the trail. We gave up. I wouldn't mind mtn biking on the trail to it either . Looks to start like double track but turns to ,ore technical single.
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

I remember it being mostly downhill to the falls, on an average woodland trail, I don't know how it would be on a mountain bike, or if that trail is even designated for mountain bikes.
LGD
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

I didn't even know these were there. Stoney Kill is an interesting place that can be quick so it would be easy to see both in a single trip. Thanks for sharing .