Niagara Escarpment; Ontario, Canada

Talk about waterfalls outside of New York state.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Over St. Pattys weekend, Jess and I went to Niagara Falls. We had intentions of going to the ADKs, but made a change of plans when we knew the early spring/summer was in store for last week. I had seen photos of some falls in the Ontario region before on flickr, and began searching online for them. I picked out three that are within a half hour drive of Niagara Falls. There are dozens more. A dozen or so in the Hamilton area as well.

We found ourselves shrouded in a dense fog all of Saturday morning. Add that to a steady breeze and a good amount of waterflow, well....pictures arent quite what I had hoped for.

Our first visit, was Decew Falls.

http://www.morningstarmill.ca/

http://www.start.ca/users/mharris/water ... falls.html

There is an upper and lower falls, however the photos of the lower falls turned out really extra crappy for some reason.

Heres two of the upper.

Decew Falls by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr

Decew Falls by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr

Upon leaving, we were stopped by a volunteer and given a tour of the mill. He was very nice and informative. There's much more to see there, and sure the full tour would be interesting...but we were on a schedule.

Our second stop was at Rockway Falls.

Rockway Falls by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr

Rockway Falls by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr

Lastly we stopped at Balls Falls conservation area.

Upper

Balls Falls Upper by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr

Lower

Balls Falls Lower by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr

It says a $3 donation, however be prepared to pay $5.75 per person if you want the token to get out of the parking lot. Very nice park. Lots of old historic buildings, reminded me of Genessee Valley Country Museum...however not operational...at least not while we were there.

All three of these falls were fairly easy to visit and get to the base of each. Some spots were steep and required a perfectly placed rope, but all of them were short jaunts down into and back out of the gorge. No walking upstream required.

Yes, we were in Niagara Falls....and no, I don't have any photos of them! Lol. The sun was a blazing Saturday and Sunday afternoons with an amazing amount of water rushing over the crest. I've never seen so much water actually. I tried to go down at night and take some photos, but again was met by dense fog. Also, despite touting that the falls would be green in an Ireland/Irish initiative around the world...the falls were a rainbow color as usual.

I have every intention of returning this year to do these falls justice, and check out the Hamilton area ones.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Nice shots Kyle! There are TONS of falls along the Niagara Escarpment. However they're usually bone dry by the end of May since their creeks have mostly small watersheds. Some other nice falls as you keep driving west toward Hamilton are the Devil's Punchbowl, Albion Falls, Felkers Falls, Websters Falls. I could go on.

http://www.nyfalls.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1070
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
hobkyl

Yeah we had intentions to go to Websters and Tews, but spent over 6 hrs hiking around these three. Nice shot of Websters! You posted that before I joined the site. Damn, I was hoping to catch these this summer. Hopefully we will get a rainy spell sometime.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Yes nice pics Kyle. Balls Falls could be really interesting with some spring green.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Great photos, Kyle. Mist and fog at Niagara Falls will be an ever-increasing problem as the Canadian side puts up bigger and bigger resorts, which traps the air flow within the valley.
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

nice shots Kyle!
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
hobkyl

Thanks Matt and Jim!
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook