Hume Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

We took advantage of the AWESOME weather today and decided to go check out Hume Falls in Allegany County. We hadn't been here in about 5 years. It's still a really beautiful falls but the setting has gotten kind of trashed because of the houses along the gorge throwing all their old sofas, car parts, etc, down into the gorge.

Aaron slipped and fell in and then said what the heck and decided to go for a swim.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Awesome Chris thanks for posting these...I wondered what they look like. I was thinking about heading there a few weeks ago but then decided to go to Barnes gully instead. A very nice falls despite the trash. Isn't Wiscoy near there too?
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
cbobcat49

Yes, Wiscoy is nearby.
fyi if you visit Hume, all the land is posted along route 19 except for at the town highway department which is about 1/8 mile south of the village. Park here, walk to the creek and then head upstream. The creek is really wide at this point. So much so that my wife wondered out loud if we were accidentally in the Genesee River!
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Thanks... linked this to the index!
RockvilleBill
Rookie

I've been to Wiscoy Falls many times. What road is that bridge on. Is the falls photo friendly from the bridge? Also is it ok to park in the highway lot and where do you hike down? Any path, how steep?
cbobcat49

I don't remember the actual route # of the road for that bridge, but the hamlet of Hume is extremely small. Just find Hume on a map, go there, and you shouldn't have any trouble finding it. You can't really get a shot of the falls from the bridge though. We parked in a very out of the way spot in the highway dept. lot... way off to the side. It was a Saturday to there were no other vehicles there anyway. There's the department building and various other parking lots, gravel pits, etc leading down to the creek. There's no path but the route is obvious along gravel roadways and not steep at all.
GrammaGuardian

Does anyone know of a falls around Hume (perhaps northwest of Hume) that is on a small creek? My 91 year old Dad is trying to remember where this falls was....back in the 1960s, he was looking at 37 acres of land that had a creek and falls on it. He remembers the falls being about 5 feet wide and about 10-15 feet high --just one drop. The owner was asking $2800 for the 37 acres and my Dad did not want to go above $2100. He did not have the money. He has regretted it ever since! Thank you!
cbobcat49

Possibly Wicoy Falls or Mills Mills Falls. There's an extensive discussion on both here...

http://www.nyfalls.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20

Wiscoy Falls is a series of 5 falls though. Not sure About Mills Mills as it's on private property and I've never seen it. :(