Site Announcements

A note from the NYFalls.com founder:
Due to a company restructuring, I will be losing my full time job soon. Although it saddens me to leave the company that I have helped build up for the last 14 years to the success it is today, I am looking forward to new opportunities. I am known for my technical, managerial, and creative abilities, and I hope to utilize all of those talents in my next career. I put together a résumé outlining my skills and projects. Please have a look. Although I am open to any management position, I would like to leverage my experience and success with NYFalls.com and NYHistoric.com into a career in the WNY travel/tourism industry. If you know of a company that would benefit from someone with talents and experience, please spread the word. Thank you for your help and support.
Here is my Resume | Discussion topic

Rate 'em as you see 'em

Talk about Films, DVDs and Blu-Rays

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Re: Rate 'em as you see 'em

Postby Kelly » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:15 pm

Kelly wrote:Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close 6/10

Nominated for best picture.....well, what do I know?
Kelly
Editor
Editor

Challenge wins: :medal: :star1:

Advertisement

Thanks for supporting our site by using our advertisers!

Postby gardengirl13 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:08 am

Kelly, the oscars seem out of whack. I haven't seen many movies on the list, but it's because I don't want to. They don't look good. I know it's not the people's choice, it's their peers, but still. Can't they pick any good movies?
gardengirl13
Senior
Senior

Camera Model: OMD-EM5
Challenge wins: None

Postby Matt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:49 am

Unstoppable - 5/10 - Probably some of the most blatant cliches i have seen lined up for a premise. The director then slams moving, twisting, twirling, and flipping camera angles down our throats to make a train going 55 mph and a bunch of rail workers in front of computers seem exciting. Denzel is fantastic as always, but he has played this roll 50 times already. :down:
Matt
President
President

Camera Model: Olympus OMD Em-1; E-5
Challenge wins: :star:

Postby Matt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:19 pm

The Grey - 9/10 - Loved it! Very tense moments with well-written dialog and superb performances. :up: :up: The perfect action/suspense flick.
Matt
President
President

Postby L_G_D » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:38 am

I had the choice this weekend between The Grey and the new Underworld movie. The Grey was playing a half hour later and I wanted to get back early and since it's over two hours and Underworld was an hour and a half, I went with that. Oh well. I won't bother to give it a rating, it's too embarrassing. And I saw it in 3D (well, Kate Beckinsale does look good in 3D, have to admit that) and IMAX, so it wasn't cheap, let's just say that and nothing more.

I'll see The Grey next weekend. Also thinking about Man on a Ledge and Haywire, but for some reason, both only had late shows yesterday.
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Postby gardengirl13 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:18 am

Hangover II 4/10 not sure why we even bothered. We loved the Hangover, laugh out loud funny, great movie. But part II made us laugh once. Sucked.

the Debt 7-8/10 good movie, could have been a bit better, plot was obvious, acting was good but I wish Helen Mirren was in it more.
gardengirl13
Senior
Senior

Camera Model: OMD-EM5
Challenge wins: None

Postby Matt » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:59 am

Hanna - 6/10 - It started out as a pretty cool spy flick, but ended up like every other of its genre. The whole "Kid genetically engineered/raised to be a superhuman spy/soldier" plot has been well worn out by now.
Matt
President
President

Postby Kelly » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:52 am

Albert Nobbs - 10/10
Sensitively, beautifully & articulately presented. A remarkable film. I think I would see this again. In a full theater, and with the Irish accents, it required some effort to catch all of what was being said initially - but became easier as things progressed.
Kelly
Editor
Editor

Challenge wins: :medal: :star1:

Postby Matt » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:37 pm

Chronicle - 6/10 - It borrows heavily from one of my favorite movies (Akira) and although it has some wonderful moments, I knock it for a flat ending, and lack of originality.
Matt
President
President

Postby hobkyl » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:57 pm

That's disappointing, I was looking forward to seeing it. Ooo I like Akira, I've watched it many times.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Camera Model: Pentax K30
Challenge wins: :star1: :star1: :star1: :star1:

PreviousNext