Hanging Spear Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

The usual place to start from is the Upper Works parking lot, in the old ghost town, which goes by many names. I've seen it called Tahawus, Adirondac, etc.... Here's a Google map of the parking lot. The trail follows Calamity Brook up to Flowed Lands, from there it's not too far to Hanging Spear. Once you get there, it's tricky getting to the bottom, but the better views are from the small area at the top where you can see the falls & upper gorge. The scramble down to the bottom isn't recommended, last time I was there, we walked to the bottom of the hill and waded up the river to the falls, then climbed back out. Next time we go, we're taking a rope to help get down & back up.

Prepare for an all day hike, it's about ten miles round trip, and it's uphill most of the way in, though not horribly steep, but definitely uphill. Bring plenty of water & food, proper clothing, etc.

I promised I'd post the pictures of the smaller falls above the main falls, and this has reminded me, so here they are:

LGD
NYGirlyGirl
Rookie
Camera Model: Nikon L110 (Just Getting Started)

I am kind of a newbie to photography but am diving pretty deep quickly. Seeing photos like these inspires me to stay at it. I feel like this must have been a very cool experience getting these photos. It must have been a great nature hike that ended up in beautiful photos. Can't wait to get to this level :) I have actually been making photo cards lately for my family. they seem to be a big hit.