Mary's Glen

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

The recent discussion of Ashley Falls reminded me to look up the shots I have upstream from them in Mary's Glen. This is a popular hike in North South Lake State Park, and a good place to visit while in the area. We usually take a hike from one of the parking areas near the lake, out to the old Kaaterskill Mountain House site, then along the cliffs past Artist's Rock, then lunch at Sunset Rock, then up past Newman's Ledge, then past Badman Cave and down into Mary's Glen and past Ashley Falls and back to the lake.

Starting from the bottom, once you get past Ashley Falls, you'd find this one, it's a bit off the trail but if there's any amount of water you can hear it if you listen for it, that's how I found it. I don't have any good shots of it yet, so this one on a bright sunny day with lots of contrast will have to do.

Once you get up farther, the stream splits into several channels and may well be several smaller streams joining up, not really sure. But there is an 8-10 foot cliff that extends for a good 50-75 feet that the stream will flow over in several places depending on how much water there is. Most of it flows over toward the left side, which is what this shot is, but there can also be a couple falls on the right side as well.

Some close ups of that section from various seasons.

A little farther up, there's this nice 10-15 foot fall that's sometimes hard to get to depending on how much water there is.

LGD
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Oh wow I had no idea there was more, wish I had continued on. So are these upstream of Ashleys or up the trail? Ashleys flows in from the left as you hike in from the road and it didn't look as though it went anywhere as you can see the ground levels off above them.

Great photos and info.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

These are a little ways upstream from Ashley, not too far, either on the same stream as Ashley or a tributary. The first one I posted is off the trail, the rest are along the trail and easy to spot. The main set is at the trail junction, one way goes to the cave, then other goes to North Point I think. The last one is easily visible from the trail to the cave.
LGD
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

This is wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

A couple more from last weekend.

HDRs in bright sun. Didn't turn out too bad.
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Back in December when it was almost as warm as last July, we took our normal hike around North South Lake state park. My friend had just upgraded his carry-around point & shoot, so I bought his old one, a Sony RX100II, mostly for it's built-in panorama mode. I'm still getting the hang of how it works. But I grabbed a shot of the falls in the upper part of Mary's Glen.

LGD