Brickyard Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

bremer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 230

Brickyard Falls is in Manlius Onondaga Co and is 50-60 ft. The FL land trust owns land that borders the creek just downstream from the falls. The boundaries of both the land trust property and the conservation easement used for access can be viewed on the Onondaga County GIS site. The only problem is that parking is strickly not allowed anywhere near here so the only option is to park in manlius at a shopping plaza or similar place and walk about 1 mile. You can also park at the plaza right where the creek passes through Manlius and creekwalk. You wont encounter any posted signs but I don't really know exactly what the legality of this would be. The creek is pretty wide/deep and might be considered navigable if that makes any difference. This option would be a 1 mile walk as well. Someone has a house right at the crest of the falls and its quite difficult to shoot the full height of the falls and not include the house. The sun also shines directly on this falls before setting. I had to wait for an hour before I could get a long exposure. Then again, whats there to complain about?!

"Now I see the Secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth" - W. Whitman
Roots Photography
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

great photos. I'll add this to the index. Thanks!
Moemoe
Rookie

Is there any chance someone could mark a map for the conservation easement or FLLT property? The GIS site is not working properly and/or I am not smart enough to use it, and I would liek to get in here before it is too cold. Much thanks for any help.
Moemoe
Rookie

Ignore the above post-I found the CNY Land Trust property listed on their site. There seems to be an entry point at the end of Farley Lane in Manlius. Going to try and go in this week if weather permits.
bremer
Senior
Senior

Moemoe wrote:Ignore the above post-I found the CNY Land Trust property listed on their site. There seems to be an entry point at the end of Farley Lane in Manlius. Going to try and go in this week if weather permits.
There is a conservation easement at the end of Farley however parking is not allowed anywhere on that street as there are warning signs every few yards. The official stance from the land trust is "there is no access at this time". The only way to get there without any trouble is to park in manlius and walk/bike out there. Also just fyi the land trust property meets the stream downstream from the falls - you'll need to creekwalk up past some elaborate deck/staircase someone has built down to the stream. That being said its a really nice place and hopefully access will be easier someday. Personally I don't think I'll be going back as it just wasn't worth the trouble. To add to the creekside deck there's a mcmansion directly above the crest of the falls and you cant look at the falls without looking at a house :angry:
"Now I see the Secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth" - W. Whitman
Roots Photography
Moemoe
Rookie

I am surprised that Manlius hasn't outlawed people walking down the street yet. I may do the walk up from the parking lot at the plaza. It's a shame that Manlius has all these wonderful things and they act this way. I know that I worked at the Manlius Cinema for a few years when I was younger and never knew there was a beautiful park 100 yards away (Mill Run Park.)
bremer
Senior
Senior

Agreed, given the affluent nature of the community you'd think there'd be a push to acquire properties like edwards falls, brickyard falls, 3falls woods, etc. Then again maybe thats the problem - wealthy individuals are willing to pay more than the government. I have done the creekwalk up from the shopping plaza - definitely challenging but rewarding. If I had to pick one route to recommend, I'd try the walk/bike from Farley. If you have any problems you haven't already invested a 1 mile creekwalk in water that is often very deep. You also know for sure you haven't crossed any property lines as you have the tax map in hand. I'm guessing the creekwalk crosses a few hundred property lines, so there is some potential for problems even though they aren't posted lines.
Roots Photography
Moemoe
Rookie

Thanks for the advice. I am going to put this off until spring and hopefully something will change by then. Also those are amazing photos.