Star trails

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Those are great Yvonne! What do you mean you can't find a place in WNY without light pollution? They are plentiful!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
americanhero
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Canon S95, Canon D10, Nikon D90

hobkyl wrote:Those are great Yvonne! What do you mean you can't find a place in WNY without light pollution? They are plentiful!
city lights pollute the sky. You need really really dark skies for the best results. I never saw such clear nights with the Milky Way like on my backpack trips this summer in Utah.
For great trails you need a place without any lights within at least 10-15 miles.

Guess I have to head out to the Adirondacks and try a few trails. :D
That's a good reason to plan a weekend camping trip
Yvonne Baur Photography

my photo stream on flickr: Yvonne Baur
hobkyl

There are tons of places in WNY that are secluded from the lights. WNY hosts dozens of state forests and multi use areas that are far from lights. Also there are miles and miles of country roads flanked by farm fields that are out of the range of the light pollution. I bet you could find somewhere within less than an hour from where you live that would be suitable. Although the Daks would be a great option as well.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
americanhero
Guide
Guide

hobkyl wrote:There are tons of places in WNY that are secluded from the lights. WNY hosts dozens of state forests and multi use areas that are far from lights. Also there are miles and miles of country roads flanked by farm fields that are out of the range of the light pollution. I bet you could find somewhere within less than an hour from where you live that would be suitable. Although the Daks would be a great option as well.

I guess I will find something. But where to start?
Any recommendations? Maybe a camping trip to Letchworth or Allegheny SP?
I also need to find some spots for a spontaneous night shooting
Yvonne Baur Photography

hobkyl

I'd say those two would be great places. You also have Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge. Plus dozens of state forests in the Ellicotville area which is about an hour from you. Or driving towards Rochester along the lake (rt 18...eventually the parkway)....miles away fom city lights with farms as far as the eye can see.

Pull up your favorite mapping service and take a gander for state forests, refuges, or roads far far away from towns and city's.
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Cherry Springs State Park in north central PA is known for its dark skies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_Springs_State_Park
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
americanhero
Guide
Guide

thanks for your ideas, I guess I have to try some of those in the next weeks. Depending on the weather forecast :D :D
Need to improve my skills with star trails a little bit more.
Yvonne Baur Photography

Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic