VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

why is the music so loud in that third video? And why does it have to be banjo and fiddle? It's like they are trying too hard to appeal to America's heartland.
Why don't they just flat out say "Opposition to Hydro-Fracking in any form is simple un-American and the makers of Gasland are pure illegal immigrant terrorists." :roll:
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

You should see the commercials that they are airing using "locals" to convince us that it's safe.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Brenda wrote:Nope, I don't know them personally. It's just the fiction that I read in my left-wing, liberal, hippie newspaper.
So news isn't biased? If you read it...no matter the news source...its the truth? Im not attacking you...just asking the question if you know someone who has been affected by it.

As I said it may or may not be exaggerated.

What I do know is that we need to now put the effort towards other energy sources. With that comes risk. No source of energy is without risk. Risk vs reward. Granted that blow out may have affected dozens of people...but how many thousands will reap the benefits from the gas once the well is up and operating? How many people gained employment drilling and building the well site...as well as how many gained permanent jobs? How has the local economy benefited from the influx of contractors? All the lodging, restaurants, retail stores...these wells are in rural areas...so small businesses are and hard working Americans are the benefactors. The state also gets a hefty cut.

I don't want them drilling here either Brenda (until it can be proven without a shadow of doubt that our FL wont be devastated)...but I believe the negative press releases that are released daily on the NG debate are out of context. I believe there has been some damage to the watersheds have occurred...and that's unfortunate. But damage to what extent? Is what the news article claims 100% accurate? News article after news article claim that energy companies wont reveal their "trade secret" concoction...yet thats not true. I can go to Chesepeakes website and read all the ingredients that they use to frack. Because someone reads that news article and believe what its telling them...it doesnt make it true and thats the sad thing with this debate. Mark Ruffalo says its baaaad....so it MUST be...cause I like that guy. Its easy to sit there and type article after article saying this is BAD because the spills are noticeable and recordable. Its exactally like reading articles about murders, rapes, political scandals, burglaries, fraud...etc. You can read one almost daily in the D&C. What you don't read about nearly as often as people who do the right thing.

We dont have long term studies in place to determine what the affects have been or will be. So I dont think anyone can really at this point say yay or nay. Yet the naysayers are out in full force.

I'd rather that we regulate it and do everything we can to ensure the safety of our drinking water and natural enviornment than for Obama to give Brazil 2 Billion so that they can continue offshore drilling. Our money going to another country so that they can reap the benefits??? What do you think we will get back out of that deal? Couldn't that 2 Billion have been better used here? Whether by exploring our own oil reserves or by a comprehensive study and funding of NG extraction? And then funding for conversion of vehicles and stations across the nation to run on NG.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Brenda wrote:You should see the commercials that they are airing using "locals" to convince us that it's safe.
You dont think that opponents use the same tactics to convince you that its not safe? :roll:
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Matt wrote:why is the music so loud in that third video? And why does it have to be banjo and fiddle? It's like they are trying too hard to appeal to America's heartland.
Why don't they just flat out say "Opposition to Hydro-Fracking in any form is simple un-American and the makers of Gasland are pure illegal immigrant terrorists."
I kind of enjoyed the homey music, and the even displaying of the facts. They werent attacking the opponents. There are dozens of stories and videos that will tell you that most of the claims in Gasland arent factual. Yet again, if thats all you see...and you believe what you saw...then you dont know any better.

http://www.bronx.com/news/usa/995.html

http://newledger.com/2010/06/gaslands-f ... er-claims/
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

hobkyl wrote:
Brenda wrote:Nope, I don't know them personally. It's just the fiction that I read in my left-wing, liberal, hippie newspaper.
So news isn't biased? If you read it...no matter the news source...its the truth? Im not attacking you...just asking the question if you know someone who has been affected by it.

As I said it may or may not be exaggerated.

What I do know is that we need to now put the effort towards other energy sources. With that comes risk. No source of energy is without risk. Risk vs reward. Granted that blow out may have affected dozens of people...but how many thousands will reap the benefits from the gas once the well is up and operating? How many people gained employment drilling and building the well site...as well as how many gained permanent jobs? How has the local economy benefited from the influx of contractors? All the lodging, restaurants, retail stores...these wells are in rural areas...so small businesses are and hard working Americans are the benefactors. The state also gets a hefty cut.

I don't want them drilling here either Brenda (until it can be proven without a shadow of doubt that our FL wont be devastated)...but I believe the negative press releases that are released daily on the NG debate are out of context. I believe there has been some damage to the watersheds have occurred...and that's unfortunate. But damage to what extent? Is what the news article claims 100% accurate? News article after news article claim that energy companies wont reveal their "trade secret" concoction...yet thats not true. I can go to Chesepeakes website and read all the ingredients that they use to frack. Because someone reads that news article and believe what its telling them...it doesnt make it true and thats the sad thing with this debate. Mark Ruffalo says its baaaad....so it MUST be...cause I like that guy. Its easy to sit there and type article after article saying this is BAD because the spills are noticeable and recordable. Its exactally like reading articles about murders, rapes, political scandals, burglaries, fraud...etc. You can read one almost daily in the D&C. What you don't read about nearly as often as people who do the right thing.

We dont have long term studies in place to determine what the affects have been or will be. So I dont think anyone can really at this point say yay or nay. Yet the naysayers are out in full force.

I'd rather that we regulate it and do everything we can to ensure the safety of our drinking water and natural enviornment than for Obama to give Brazil 2 Billion so that they can continue offshore drilling. Our money going to another country so that they can reap the benefits??? What do you think we will get back out of that deal? Couldn't that 2 Billion have been better used here? Whether by exploring our own oil reserves or by a comprehensive study and funding of NG extraction? And then funding for conversion of vehicles and stations across the nation to run on NG.
Of course news is biased, but when you have many expert people and many sources saying the same things over and over again there has to be some truth to the matter.

Risk vs reward? How many families are allowed to get sick to make the reward worth while? Mine? Yours?

I'm going to have to look up the sources to give you exact figures on employment, and I don't have the time right now but I do know that they bring in most of the labor and very few permanent jobs are created because once the well is in place...They've created their own encampments, so the impact on the local economy is highly questionable.

The problem is that it's not being regulated properly. You obviously have little faith in our current administration, so what makes you think that they are going to protect our families when it comes to the risks of hydrofracking?
Brenda wrote:
You should see the commercials that they are airing using "locals" to convince us that it's safe.
hobkyl wrote:
You dont think that opponents use the same tactics to convince you that its not safe?
No, because they don't have the advertising budget for television!
hobkyl

Brenda wrote:Of course news is biased, but when you have many expert people and many sources saying the same things over and over again there has to be some truth to the matter.

There may not be as many expert proponents coming forward, but they are out there. So there must be some truth in what they say as well. I think somewhere in the middle lies the truth.
Brenda wrote:Risk vs reward? How many families are allowed to get sick to make the reward worth while? Mine? Yours?

Again, is there clear proof that this has even occured? Or are we just taking what a news article states as the gospel? I dont want anyones family sick. I didnt want the gulf to go to ruins due to an explosion. At the same time, if we dont invest now in a viable fuel source...where will be in the future? How many families could be affected when they cant afford to pay their heating costs and state could no longer afford to subsidise them?
Brenda wrote:I'm going to have to look up the sources to give you exact figures on employment, and I don't have the time right now but I do know that they bring in most of the labor and very few permanent jobs are created because once the well is in place...They've created their own encampments, so the impact on the local economy is highly questionable.

•Roughly 75 percent of the jobs will be blue collar jobs.
•It takes an average of 20-30 different companies participating to drill a well.
•It takes an average 410 people in 150 occupations to drill a single well. They don’t all work full-time! But at some point during the process, over 400 people will have worked at least some amount of time on the well project.
•Each well generates 11.53 (rounded to 12) full-time equivalent workers during the life of the well.
•Each well generates .17 full-time production workers, which are long-term “production” jobs. Put it this way, every six wells will yield one full-time job for many years into the future.

http://marcellusdrilling.com/2010/03/bi ... ly-create/

Your claim that the labor is not local comes...from? I personally worked with a company in Avon just two years ago along with around 100 other employees. All full time. For two years we all had as much overtime as we could ever want. Then the moratorium came and we were all laid off due to lack of work. There is a ton more of work to a well site than just the drilling. Pipefitters, electricians, crane operators, carpenters, fence installers to name just a few. All local people, all with jobs that paid well.

Brenda wrote:The problem is that it's not being regulated properly. You obviously have little faith in our current administration, so what makes you think that they are going to protect our families when it comes to the risks of hydrofracking?
Id rather try to have faith in our administration attempting to harness a "new" energy source, creating jobs, and bolstering our economy HERE than to have them invest in other countries endeavors. And it has nothing to do with the "current" administration.
Brenda wrote:You should see the commercials that they are airing using "locals" to convince us that it's safe.
hobkyl wrote:
You dont think that opponents use the same tactics to convince you that its not safe?
Kyle wrote:No, because they don't have the advertising budget for television!
I was referring to Gasland.

Its not being shoved down my throat. I see a commercial FOR natural gas maybe once a week. On the other hand I read or see news AGAINST it several times a week. So while they might not have the money to buy air time, they are still getting their message across in a big way.

Heres another good fact checker...
http://nwpoa.club.officelive.com/Gasland.aspx
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook