Fellows Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

From what I read, I wasn't all that excited to visit Fellows, located off Woodmancy Road in Tully, NY (near the south end of it where it crosses route 80). There apparently was a large landslide there where part of Woodmancy road fell into Onondaga creek, ruining the 'prettiest' area of the waterfall...

Here's some high water shots of what supposedly is 'Fellows Falls' from what you can go see right from the road - which, by the way, there isn't any parking except for pulling as close to the guardrail as possible:
http://harperkay.homestead.com/FellowsFallsExtras.html

I got there, poked around the falls, which were suffering from a lack of water -
I decided to walk down the creek more because it looked interesting - and it did get better:
Even nicer waterfalls and chute further down:
And then i kept thinking that i heard more water further down, so I went down about a quarter of a mile total from the road (not easy walking), and came to this view:
which I couldn't see down, but it looked almost as deep as Middle Falls in Letchworth State Park....i walked across the stream and found a game path along a descending ridgeline, very steep and hard climb down to the bottom of the gorge....

It was very rewarding, it felt like being the first person to see it:

And there is another waterfall, about another 15' with a caprock right below that monster above - which I would assume is anywhere from 50-70' (estimates?)...

Pretty incredible - that waterfall must be the true 'Fellows Falls', but I don't think anyone out there who has written about it has ever walked down the creek more to check it out. It's not posted either, so I don't think the land thing is the problem. Maybe people are just lazy and scared :)
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I like that 4th shot.