Taughannock Falls State Park

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Taughannock Falls

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
4%
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip.
30%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
67%

Total votes: 27
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Wow talk about being in the right place at the right time!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

It's even more impressive with the rollover Matt!
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Yeah, really interesting! Did the tourist just Google the falls after this happened and then find your website and contact you with the story and photos?
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
americanhero
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Canon S95, Canon D10, Nikon D90

wow, that's impressive!! And what a story. :shock: :shock:
He really was being there in the right place at the right time.
Yvonne Baur Photography

my photo stream on flickr: Yvonne Baur
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Kelly wrote:Yeah, really interesting! Did the tourist just Google the falls after this happened and then find your website and contact you with the story and photos?
Not sure, but he found Brenda first and Brenda led me to him.
HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS & Applie iPhone

Wow!
Mark J
Senior
Senior

The height of the splash is at least half the height of the falls, and that's just at the instant he clicked the photo so it could have been even higher.
Mark J
Senior
Senior

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone, a great time to visit nyfalls.com! The big news this month was Arthur Lovell’s photograph of the collapse of a tour-bus size (or larger) chunk of rock from the upper reaches of the Taughannock Falls amphitheater, crashing some 215 feet into the pool below. The resulting splash reached up to about half the height of the falls, or 100-plus feet.

Of course, rocks falling into the region’s many gorges is nothing newsworthy – it’s been going on for thousands of years and continues generally unnoticed on a daily basis, though typically on a smaller scale. The unusual thing here is that the scene was captured in a dramatic pair of before and after photographs, shot from the overlook on Taughannock Park Rd.

Coincidentally, November also happens to be the month that Taughannock Falls is featured in the beautiful 2010 waterfalls calendar http://waterfallcalendar.com/, published by Dewey Neild Photography of Ithaca. http://www.deweyneild.com/
Neild has captured images of “T. Falls” in various seasons and lighting conditions, but this month’s calendar image is of interest as it was shot from below, revealing that the now-collapsed area was seriously overhung. Click here to see Neild's photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7812552@N03/5206879999/

Dewey’s image also points out just how close this rockfall was to the crest of the falls. It’s only a matter of time until the crest itself crumbles backwards, altering the falls’ iconic right-angle shape. Another point of comparison between the Lovell and Neild photos – it’s apparent that the major rock fall on November 4 was preceded by one or more smaller ones from the same area, as voids that are apparent in the more recent pic are not there in the older one. Comparing with a photo (below) taken several years ago, ongoing loss of rock from the upper reaches of the amphitheater is very apparent.
Taughannock Falls NY Offcial Photo.jpg
Taughannock Falls NY Offcial Photo.jpg (47.2 KiB) Viewed 2578 times

Nyfalls.com has estimated the recently fallen chunk at 54 feet long. Taking an average height of 12 feet and average thickness of 2 feet, the massive chunk would have weighed some 100 tons and displaced about 10,000 gallons of water.