Fawn's Leap Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

gardengirl13
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: OMD-EM5

Looking to shoot Fawn's leap and Kaaterskill soon, I've shot Bastion quickly in a rain so I didn't have time to really take lots of shots. I'm just wondering how hard the hike is to get down (and back up) to fawn's leap and kaaterskill. I keep seeing how many people have died this summer/spring at kaaterskill and I'm assuming they're going up the steep side of the falls, not the trail to the base from 23A. Problem is I have a back back and hips, but really want to shoot both of these falls.
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

garden girl3, if you look up to

Fawn's Leap Falls
by George » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:53 pm

you will see a picture of a sign. Right there is the falls. Right off the road. Brave the south side and you get a really nice bird's eye view that i included a pic of above. Kaaterskill is a longer walk read above where to park. Getting to the upper falls may not be for everyone, but it is really really worth it. very peaceful up there.

David
P.S. while at Fawn's leap since you are so close check out Moore Bridge Falls literally just down a short walk under the bridge.
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

:up:
Last edited by ApproachingLight on Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
gardengirl13
Senior
Senior

Oh great! I thought it was a steep hike to get to fawn's leap! I'll try Kaaterskill too. I really want to see it and I'm willing to be very sore for a week or two to do it, (I also need to do it before I get worse and can't do it!)

Now I'm not sure where the sign is? Is it near that tiny two car pull off heading back down the mtn from the bigger parking area for kaaterskill towards Catskill?
gardengirl13
Senior
Senior

Also I love that second shot! Was that with your 24-105? I just sold my wide angle to get something wider and am without one for a bit, my widest is 28 on a crop. Should I wait to get something wider before I go?
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

The problem with getting to Fawn's Leap now is that most of the old parking spaces that were near the falls are blocked by the new guard rails they put in after the road washed out a few years ago. There is a space below the bridge for one or two cars, but other than that, you have to park at the lot for Rat Hole (it's pretty obvious) and walk up the road to get to Fawn's Leap, which is a pretty good hike, maybe a quarter to half mile or so. That doesn't sound bad until you take into account that there is almost no room on the shoulder of the road to walk and traffic can get pretty scary at times. The upside is you can stop at Moore's Bridge and Rat Hole to make the trip more interesting. Walking up the stream from Rat Hole isn't a good idea, at least not now when you can't swim through the couple of narrow places where there's no room to walk the banks. You can cut up to the road, then make your way across to the bridge, then up, which isn't too bad.

Kaaterskill should be pretty decent, the walk down the road from the parking lot is the same deal, narrow or no shoulder and traffic. But once you're on the trail, it's nice. About a half mile or so, I think, not too steep and a nice view from the bottom. It wasn't too bad to get to the bottom of the upper falls last time I was there, it seems there's more of a herd path now.

A wide lens in the 20-30mm range (full frame equivalent) should be good for both falls, I think.
LGD
Chris
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Canon 5D Mark II, Canon G9, Panasonic FX07

This is a gorgeous waterfall that I had never heard of. Definitely going to make a trip to see what I can capture there. Loving the images and stories of the place as well. :D
cwwphotos | redbubble | flickr | facebook
"The moment one gives close attention to any thing, even a blade of grass,
it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself."
-- Henry Miller
gardengirl13
Senior
Senior

Sorry to bug you again, but the bridge you're talking about, is that the one you cross right by bastion falls, or is a different bridge along the road. (LGD I also pm'd you another question about a different area.)

And yeah that road is scary! Those 18 wheelers do about 30 around those sharp corners!