Cornell Hollow Falls - Tioga County

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

I heard about this falls from a customer where I work. I don't know if "Cornell Hollow Falls" is it's official name or if it even has an official name. The road it's on is called Cornell Hollow Rd, so that's the name I gave it. It's actually quite close to my house. He gave me decent directions to the trailhead, so Ben and I scouted it out one evening. I actually know that area fairly well -- I once dated a woman who lived on that side of the hill. Never knew there was a falls there though. We found the trail easily enough, and hiked in a ways, but we didn't find the falls that evening, and as it was getting dark, we decided to come back when we had more time and light. The land is not posted, but we figured we were on private land. A few weeks later, I met someone who lives adjacent to the property in question, knows the owners, and obtained permission to hike in and check out the falls this past Friday morning.

I was impressed that something this "large" was so close! There was _very_ little water while we were there, but I think this would be nice under spring melt/heavy rain runoff conditions. I'm hoping for some significant rainfall so I can get better shots. I do indeed plan to head back next spring to see what magic the melting snow can perform for this wild gully. It is right on the Tioga & Broome County line, but lies wholly within Tioga.

Not the greatest pic, but without the water flowing it wasn't destined to be a great pic anyway. ;) The guy sitting at the top of the falls in the red shirt is Adam.... He's 6ft 2in tall. I estimate this falls at about 30-35 feet high. Can't wait to see it when it's flowing good.
-----
spec
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

it's great info. I'll get this into the index. thanks!
would you say this is the approximate location?
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=42.15092,-76.11478&z=17&t=H
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Matt wrote:it's great info. I'll get this into the index. thanks!
would you say this is the approximate location?
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=42.15092,-76.11478&z=17&t=H

Dead on my friend. ;)
-----
spec
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Great to have this one on the Index!! A minor correction -- It's actually in the Town of Owego.
-----
spec
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

I got back here the other evening after we had some heavy rains for a couple days. Unfortunately it was far too dark to take pictures, but the falls indeed is very pretty when there's actually water flowing over it. :) The character of this falls is very much like the other two Tioga County falls -- Thin shale layers, as is common to the region, but with other thicker and harder layers mixed in moreso than closer in to the Finger Lakes. This makes for some nice "mini-drop" cascades as the falls descend their faces, and those same facets in the rock create great ledges and steps for climbing.

Topo for this area looks quite rich in gullies, gouges, gorges, and glens. I'm sure there's more falls around here. I hope to have the time this summer to research land owner information and make some contacts. I've also got a falls here in Broome County that I need to get photos of and post here. Nothing too huge, probably 12' or so. It's in a public park, but not in an area that is frequently accessed.
-----
spec
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

I knew this falls would look good with some water.....

[img2]http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... ollow1.jpg[/img2]
-----
spec
HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS & Applie iPhone

Another nice shot. :)
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide