High Falls (Agawamuck Creek)

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

trinitrotoluene
Rookie

I learned about this waterfall by chance, from a local I met near Bash Bish Falls. It's more or less in the middle of the village of Philmont, in Columbia County, about ten minutes from the Taconic State Parkway. Agawamuck ("stream of many fish") Creek is a headstream of Claverack Creek, which drains into the Hudson at Stockport.

Russell Dunn's book says it's on private land, but that appears to be no longer the case -- it's now contained in a High Falls Conservation Area, in which a short and easy trail leads about half a mile to this overlook. I'm not sure when the conservation area was created, but it seems to be fairly recent (Dunn's book was published in 2006 iirc).

Eyeball tells me maybe 125' total, with a main drop of about 80'. The information posted near the parking area said 150', but that seems a bit of an overestimate.

Slogged down through lots of mud and made a sketchy traverse around some wet mossy rocks to get this view from the base:

There was also a little bonus waterfall -- it drains a little pond on top of the gorge that's probably fed by a diversion from the main flow, and likely wouldn't have much of a summer flow at all if it weren't for an exceptionally wet summer (it was raining all that day, only letting up considerately for me to take photos).

Normal flows, from the photos I've seen, are much much lower.
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Wow, that looks like an interesting one that I haven't been to. Will have to remedy that in the near future. Great pics & post, thanks!
LGD
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

great photos! Looks like a fantastic waterfall.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Wow! :up: For some reason I missed several posts from last year and am now just coming across them. Love the new feature (similiar topics) Matt! :D
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Dingoblu
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: Nikon N 80, kodak easy share

Nice one!!
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Finally got to this one, had actually forgotten about it until a friend mentioned it and we looked it up. It was cold and very windy, so we didn't spend much time here, but would like to go back and look around a bit more, maybe get down to the bottom for a view from the level of the plunge pool.

LGD