Kaaterskill Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

L_G_D wrote:Another shot I just dug up in my film scanning excavations. This is a winter shot, obviously, January to be precise. The large cone of ice and snow at the bottom of the falls that is probably 30-40 feet high. There are also three people in the shot for scale, see if you can find them :D . At web size, they are pretty small in the frame.
I think I found 'em -- one on the left side, and two together closer to the water, right? Crouched under the overhang?
-----
spec
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Yeah, the two people closer to the water are sitting on the ledge, the third is taking their picture, crouched on the same ledge, halfway between the big icicle and the left edge of the frame.
LGD
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

These falls are very nice lower section certainly impressive in height. But similar to some in the area with a large boulder base. The upper half is like a different world. Beautiful bowl with a swimming hole. Not many boulders to speak of to clutter the serenity.

As you face the falls, the "trail" on the right is doable. A little challenging, but worth the hike cause most won't do it.

David
Attachments
IMG_0025small.jpg
IMG_0042small.jpg
IMG_0053small.jpg
IMG_0061small.jpg
IMG_0074small.jpg
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Wow, that's about the lowest I've seen the water there. It has been a dry summer....

Really nice shots. I've been up on the upper section lots of times but never really got any shots I was satisfied with.
LGD
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

LGD,
thanks.But those winter shots you took had to be an experience. It's like a trade-off. Summer time, little water, lots of green. Winter- ice but little saturating colors.
john7D
Rookie

October 17, 2010, at about 10 am.

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Great photo :up: Welcome to the community!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS & Applie iPhone

John, love the perspective on that waterfall! Welcome to the community. :)