Arkwright Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Administrator's Note - This property is now labeled as private property - no trespassing - A full profile has been posted here: https://nyfalls.com/waterfalls/arkwright-falls/ - added 4/2021

I probably should have mentioned something in the Where Are You Headed topic as I had this on my calendar months ago but I forgot!... Yesterday we went on a hike to Arkwright Falls with the Chautauqua County Hiking Club. I'll admit, we were basically just tagging along so we would know exactly how to get here, but we did meet a bunch of cool people in the group. Also, I've heard rumors that you have to cut across private property to access the creek so I made the assumption that these people had made prior arrangements to be allowed to do that. :wink:

The first treat in this creekwalk is a VERY narrow side gully that eventually gets to only a few feet wide at its narrowest. Eventually you encounter a really neat ribbon waterfall. I've done some internet searches and found that there's allegedly a 50' falls beyond this but it seemed nearly imporrible to get past this falls. There's lots of interesting water-carved shale formations similar to Watkins Glen in here.

Then we continued on to Arkwright Falls itself. It was worth the mile or so creekwalk even though the water level was really low.

...and from the top...

Last edited by Matt on Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

It does look very similar to Watkins Glen.
Matt
President
President

I found this info about access
The Arkwright Falls can be reached from the state land trail starting on Burnham Road or from Ball Road. Sector A is the parking lot on Park Road and Rt. 72.
Matt
President
President

Fredonia Teen Hospitalized After Fall
Buffalo, NY (WBEN) - A 17-year-old boy had to be taken to ECMC by Mercy Flight Saturday morning after he fell from a ledge near Arkwright Falls in Chautauqua County.

State Police say the boy is a member of the Fredonia High School Cross Country team who was out for a run with some teammates when the accident occurred. The group had stopped for a rest when the boy lost his footing, tumbling 25 feet downward.

The victim is being treated for a fractured jaw and other head trauma. He is listed in critical condition.

Police are not releasing his name to the public at this time
http://www.wben.com/news/fullstory.php?newsid=10366
NOACCESS
Rookie

I want to thank you posting that article. The previous poster is wrong. My family owns Arkwright falls, there is no stateland leading to it. As of the incident anyone we or the DEC catches there WILL BE PROSICUTED for tresspassing. The 6 bags of beer cans, tiki torches, clothes, uneaten food, 100 rounds of .22 ammo & fresh cut trees (stealing) we found last night is UNACCEPTIBLE. ALL ropes have been CUT & REMOVED. Jumping, kayaking, camping & climbing will not tolerated anymore. POSTED signs have been replaced AGAIN :angry: TOO BAD so many good people have to suffer from the choices of sooo very few.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

That is very unfortunate! I'm so sorry to hear that you've had problems there. It's an all too familiar story. :cry:
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
randybruyere

NOACCESS wrote:I want to thank you posting that article. The previous poster is wrong. My family owns Arkwright falls, there is no state land leading to it. As of the incident anyone we or the DEC catches there WILL BE PROSICUTED for tresspassing. The 6 bags of beer cans, tiki torches, clothes, uneaten food, 100 rounds of .22 ammo & fresh cut trees (stealing) we found last night is UNACCEPTIBLE. ALL ropes have been CUT & REMOVED. Jumping, kayaking, camping & climbing will not tolerated anymore. POSTED signs have been replaced AGAIN :angry: TOO BAD so many good people have to suffer from the choices of sooo very few.

This is a sad story as I reside very close to this location. We went there many times during the spring, summer and fall and never noticed a private property sign; my apologies for trespassing. My children are very upset and cry every time they want to go and explore the country side as there are many spots we have not been to. The pond at the opening of the gorge was a spot we went to for a rest and always stopped to adore. As for the ropes, we did swing on them at the waterfalls and the side of the gorge. We used to climb the sides and hike all over that place. The litter is a crying shame. I do agree. I can not see how people can just not care about our resources.

An idea; start guided tours like once a week during the spring, summer and fall? I know I would definitely pay the price no matter what it is. I have been going there for many years as has all my cousins and their cousins.
Matt
President
President

Unfortunately, allowing people onto the property, especially invited, has a whole bunch of liability issues. From swinging from ropes, to just plain hiking, can get a land owner into hot water. Even if the visitor waves all rights, it's probably stressful or emotionally taxing at the very least when a tragedy does occur.

This site serves both as a place for virtually hanging a "posted sign" like with this and also as a resource for learning about and sharing the thousands of other waterfalls we CAN visit. There are plenty more to explore.