Quarter Mile Glen

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

bremer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 230

Quarter Mile Glen is the first tributary entering the west side of Seneca Lake just north of downtown Watkins Glen. You can park along route 14 where the marked parking spots begin and then walk north along the sidewalk to the creek (about 40 yards). Several falls are visible from the sidewalk if you only want a look. There must be 20 tributaries very similar to this one between Watkins Glen and Glenora alone, but this is probably the most accessible and a good place to start. I don't know what the property status is. The stream borders what looks like an old park or something. There are no signs.

[img2]http://images2e.snapfish.com/232323232% ... A347nu0mrj[/img2]
[img2]http://images2e.snapfish.com/232323232% ... B347nu0mrj[/img2]
"Now I see the Secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth" - W. Whitman
Roots Photography
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

nice. I'll add this to the index. Thanks!
bremer
Senior
Senior

I was hoping to add some newer/ better photos of this glen but it was hardly flowing during a July visit. Here is one of the more interesting chutes where the water collects in a concentrated ribbon. Nonetheless this is a very quick and worthwhile (if theres decent flow) visit if youre passing through watkins glen. You'll only need a few minutes to see all the falls (unless you choose to climb a 15 ft-er and explore more). I went to deckertown falls the same day and the flow there was exceptional.

"Now I see the Secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth" - W. Whitman
Roots Photography
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Great pic!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Nice shot! I went looking for this glen a few months ago but couldn't find it.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
bremer
Senior
Senior

Thanks! Heres an aerial with the glen and parking marked. Its very easy to miss as it looks more like a ditch than a glen from the road. The first marked parking spots, which are free spots, are across from the salt point road / in front of a moose club.

The street view is below. The parking spots are at left and the glen entrance is about a 50 yard walk up the sidewalk to the north

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&clien ... .7,,0,3.07
Roots Photography
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

aha. So its right next to Bath Rd. We must have drove up and down the road 3 times looking for it. So you can park right on route 14?
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau