Chippewa Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

bremer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 230

Chippewa Falls is in Cuyler Hill State Forest and is in the 200 waterfalls book. Overview MapThe recommended access (Co. Rte. 12), however, is no longer an option because the landowner rescinded trail rights and the North County Trail had to be rerouted (This also happened at Spicer Falls). The old trail is still in place and in good shape, it just dead-ends at Chippewa Falls now coming from the other direction. The trail can be accessed from Stoney Brook Rd (FYI, there is no sign coming from the west and it looks like a farm road/ from the east there is a road sign and its initially paved).Trail Map. The old trail spurs off of the current trail somewhere on the short section north of Stoney Brook Road. At the time I didn't know the trail started so far to the west and unable to find it, I bushwacked with a compass from a spot closer to the falls. I eventually ran into the trail, which is in good shape, found the falls, and bushwacked back since I didn't know where the trail went. In the course of doing this I discovered a shack 2000' from the road with a worn trail headed to it. I had seen this in the aerial and intended to stay away but I accidentally crossed the Chippewa Falls creek without even knowing it. Anyhow I'm sure the occupants are perfectly nice but I found it to be a little spooky.

[img2]http://images2e.snapfish.com/232323232% ... B347nu0mrj[/img2]
[img2]http://images2e.snapfish.com/232323232% ... A347nu0mrj[/img2]
[img2]http://images2e.snapfish.com/232323232% ... 6347nu0mrj[/img2]
[img2]http://images2e.snapfish.com/232323232% ... 6347nu0mrj[/img2]
"Now I see the Secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth" - W. Whitman
Roots Photography
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Great photos and great find! About how high would you say those are?
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
bremer
Senior
Senior

hobkyl wrote:Great photos and great find! About how high would you say those are?
This particular drop is probably 40 ft. Looking downhill its a series of falls as far as you can see, but private property is marked in sight of where these pictures were taken. Its also too steep to get down the hill here even if you wanted. The trail heads away after the crest of the falls onto private property and I presume uses switch backs to get down.
"Now I see the Secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth" - W. Whitman
Roots Photography
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

excellent info. I updated the index with this.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Nice pics.

I noticed the water is real blue on the edges. With falls pics if you bring up the saturation you get blue water. The problem is getting more blue adds depth and definition, but you get unnatural looking water falls. If your software has the capability try first bringing up luminoscence(sp?) in blue, to get that nice feathery definition. Then go to saturation and reduce the blue saturation since there is virtually none in most all nature shots. Another way to do it is through "channels" if you have that (Look for an "RGB" drop down and choose blue) where you basically do the same thing.

I tried a quick fix to show...
Attachments
jpg.jpg
bremer
Senior
Senior

Nice find Kyle, cnyhiking.com is a really good source of info not only for hiking but also for finding "unknown" waterfalls. I have posted several falls here that I found using that site and I have a number of others to check out in the future. Waterfalls are typically not mentioned there but having the trail maps is great as you just need to look around the topo for streams and possible falls to check out.

The photos do look better with the white balance shifted toward yellow. I don't think these ones were particularly good, they're more like hdr gone wild haha but thank you.
Roots Photography