Falls on La Chute River

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Yeah, makes you wonder, but it probably fell under quickest & easiest and more importantly, cheapest placement options.

Nice shot, you've hidden most of the problem areas, you almost wouldn't know you're in the middle of a fairly large town.
LGD
spartacusii
Junior
Junior

L_G_D wrote:Yeah, makes you wonder, but it probably fell under quickest & easiest and more importantly, cheapest placement options.

Nice shot, you've hidden most of the problem areas, you almost wouldn't know you're in the middle of a fairly large town.
you could be right, LGD, but it appears to me more a case of laziness in the thinking department. i doubt that it would have cost any more, or been more difficult if the poles had been placed to 1 side or the other - but it WOULD have required someone thinking it was important to keep the scene as 'clean' as possible & require the placement not to be included in it. the wires would be bad enough, but certainly a lot easier to clone out.

as far as hiding most of the problem areas - that was exactly what i was attempting, obviously. thank you for your comments. i went up to the other side of the covered bridge, & laid down on my belly. i wished i could have gotten a little bit lower so i could have gotten just a bit more of the falls, but this was the best i could do.
IMG_1717_Edited_Online.jpg
jp
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Nice shot, there's always getting in the water, lol.....
LGD
spartacusii
Junior
Junior

L_G_D wrote:Nice shot, there's always getting in the water, lol.....
true. but in addition to being unsure about how deep it was, & i wasn't prepared to get in the water; had i done that, A) i would be back to having too much view above the falls & catch all that electrical stuff, & B) i would lose the surface of the river for the reflection - it would wind up just being a sliver. i'm also not so sure about the sight line - by the time you would get down to the water, the curve of the river would block out a good deal of the falls.

i know you were half kidding . . . my response is primarily to the other half :P

jp
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

I never actually walked beyond the bridge to see what it looked like from there. We did cross once and wander around the falls themselves from the other side, there are some possibilities for close up shots of sections of the falls with little background distraction from that side of the river. I plan to be up there twice in August, hoping to get to the other falls upstream and get shots of those. Hopefully I will have decent light to get good shots of both.
LGD
spartacusii
Junior
Junior

yea - i wanted to take a run up to the other falls, but i was with my wife & her best friend & her husband, so after i was done at this location, we made our way down to our B&B for the night. i'll be interested to see what you get at the other falls . . . just don't make me regret that i didn't make it up there, ok? :roll:

jp
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

No guarantees, lol.....
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

I did make it to Ticonderoga the last week in August, but the weather wasn't cooperating. When I left the house, it was complete overcast and just right contrast for waterfall pictures. But, when I got there, the clouds had cleared and it was clear blue sky and lots of sun. I took some pictures but decided it wasn't worth it. So, I packed up and went to Crown Point to check on the new bridge project and get some lunch. On my way back, it started to cloud over again, so I went back to Ticonderoga and tried some shots again. The conditions weren't perfect, but better than they had been in the morning.

This is an overall shot of the upper falls. There is an inactive dam at the top that funnels most of the water through a tunnel and over the falls. Above this, there are a couple more recent dams which hold back Lake George. This place is obviously a popular swimming spot for the locals judging by the amount of graffiti and trash thrown around. It's not difficult to get a few shots without too much in the way, though. There is a lot going on at these falls and really need to be done with more time and better conditions. Parking is easy in a grassy off road area that doesn't appear to be posted in any way. The only signs warn of fast rising water from the dams above and that fisherpersons should be careful of what bait they use.

This shot shows the dam above and most of the falls

A shot from closer to the pool and farther to the left.

While I was there, I walked around the lower falls in the main city park and took this shot. It's from above and you can see the extra dams that were added. Without these, most or all of the water, except at very high water levels, would flow towards me because the rock naturally tilt in that direction. Then the water would drop into a small chasm and not flow over the main part of the rock that create the falls. I can only assume that these small dams were added during construction of the power plant and are there solely to enhance the aesthetic beauty of the falls. Without them, the lower falls would be pretty boring most of the time.

LGD