Bruce's Gully, Yates Co.

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

bremer wrote: I don't know if this means they already own the land or hope to someday but there is a nice trail up to the first falls and no posted signs.
Went to check this out on Sunday...found a posted sign before I could see or hear falls. Maybe 300' yards in. Also a tent with a cooking tripod and campfire ring were near posted sign. Not sure if it was the owners or some kids. I am currently corresponding with Yates Co to try and get an owners name/address.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
bremer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 230

Went to check this out on Sunday...found a posted sign before I could see or hear falls. Maybe 300' yards in. Also a tent with a cooking tripod and campfire ring were near posted sign. Not sure if it was the owners or some kids. I am currently corresponding with Yates Co to try and get an owners name/address.
Thats too bad, I didn't see any posted signs although I do remember a firepit just before the 1st falls. I often have mixed feelings about posting these somewhat unknown falls for which the land status is unknown. I want to share with the ny falls members, but once its on the internet the landowner may find it and choose to post the land. I really doubt that happened in this case but its just something I often think about.
"Now I see the Secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth" - W. Whitman
Roots Photography
Mark J
Senior
Senior

Many counties have land records available online. Combine these records with zillow.com maps, which typically show lot lines, and it's usually possible to determine ownership pretty quickly. Many destinations which cannot be accessed from one possible approach due to posting may be accessible from another approach. Also keep in mind that posted signs that do not carry the name of the current owner are generally meaningless under the law, as only the owner may post land. The only effective ways to make an area off limits to all users are to fence or post the entire perimeter. The law respects the owner's right to fence or post his land, but it also respects your right to access unfenced, unposted, unimproved land. Be a respectful visitor, carry out trash, respect lawful posted signs and you'll generally be okay.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I know what you mean Bremer. I was split on whether or not to post a couple that I did. However when I thought about it, the people who cause problems in these gullies more than likely dont visit this or any other website. They are the local kids who dump trash, spray paint, have fires...etc. I want to believe all that come to NYFalls.com are coming here because they respect falls and simply want to stand in awe in their mist.

I did locate the owner (who happens to be named Bruce-lol), and have a typed letter prepared to go in the mail tommorow am. Also if granted permission this may be the only way to view the top falls-through the farmland up on Henderson Road.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

We visited the lower falls in September. I didn't even realize there was an upper until I searched for this topic to post these! A reason to go back next year.

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau