Wagener Glen

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

mjs64
Rookie

Here's one!
Attachments
waterfall.jpg
waterfall.jpg (177.41 KiB) Viewed 6005 times
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

Great info! Thanks for sharing it! I do hope to visit this glen someday.
-----
spec
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

mjs64 wrote:Earlier posts are incorrect. Most of these waterfalls are accessible, including the largest one (at least 100 feet tall (not sheer) and shown in those Bing maps).
mjs64 wrote:The property is marked as private property, so proceed at your own risk/liability.
Inaccessible due to....
hobkyl wrote:Yeah I got a letter saying that they couldn't allow anyone in there due to liability. It's owned by a trust board, so it's more than just one person saying no.
Every falls is accessible if youre willing to accept the risks.....

Great to see a pic though :up: Thats got to be a beautiful falls with more flow.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

spec wrote:
hobkyl wrote:So does MItchellsville Creek, just a little bit south of Hammondsport on the western side of the valley. That is on private land, but part of the North Country Trail runs along its rim. Yet another destination for this summer!
Did you ever make it? Just found a beast of a waterfall there on Bing Maps...I am in contact with Steuben Co tax department and am awaiting more information for this and Glen Brook in the village of Hammondsport.
Attachments
33.JPG
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

It appears in looking at FLT Passport Hikes for Mitchellsville Creek Gorge the trail runs right pass where that falls would lay. Whether or not a clear view or path down to the creek is available from the trail remains to be discovered. ;)
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
mjs64
Rookie

So did anyone ever end up venturing into Wagener's Glen?
hobkyl

I wont without permission since it is private and posted as such.
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

hobkyl wrote:
spec wrote:
hobkyl wrote:So does MItchellsville Creek, just a little bit south of Hammondsport on the western side of the valley. That is on private land, but part of the North Country Trail runs along its rim. Yet another destination for this summer!
Did you ever make it? Just found a beast of a waterfall there on Bing Maps...I am in contact with Steuben Co tax department and am awaiting more information for this and Glen Brook in the village of Hammondsport.
I didn't make it this year. I ended up running into a bit of a problem with my Ohio driver's license and suffered most of this summer without the ability to drive myself anywhere. Even after I got my license issues cleared up, events seemed to consipire against me to prevent me from getting out much at all. And that sucks because I had a lot I wanted to do this year, especially with the new camera. I did get out a couple times with Ben, and a couple times I did drive myself to some of the falls close to me (Shhh...don't tell anyone! :)) but got nowhere near as much done as I wanted to. Twin Glens, "Upper Havana Glen" (above Eagle Cliff), Mitchellsville, Montville/Decker Creek, Carpenter/Angel... All still unchecked on my "to do" list. I did get to Filmore Glen, Rexford, Deckertown, and Tinkers this year which were also on my list, as well as a couple new and unexpected ones (Cornell Hollow, Hidden Glen, Jackson etc) I also got back to Buttermilk in Tioga under _perfect_ flow conditions and FINALLY got some decent pics of that falls.

From what I've read, there are some decent views of the falls at Mitchellsville from the FLT/NCT, but access into the gorge isn't encouraged. The descriptions I saw said that the trail was on the rim, high above the falls. Whether gorge access is discouraged at the landowner's request or because of terrain I don't know. Landowner request is one thing, but terrain issues could possibly be overcome. (I'm reminded of Ben and I climbing/descending the wall at Clark's this summer :))
-----
spec