2010 - What's Missing?

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Stemple Hill Gully

Cant wait to get home and get my photos edited and posted. An unknown gem at the southern end of Canandaigua Lake a mile or two from Ontario County Park.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

hobkyl wrote:Stemple Hill Gully

Cant wait to get home and get my photos edited and posted. An unknown gem at the southern end of Canandaigua Lake a mile or two from Ontario County Park.

Nice! I Was just looking at that area on Google/Bing/Acme a couple nights ago.
-----
spec
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

So you visited a falls in that gully or you're suspicious there's one there? I wonder if there's a falls on the stream immediately north of that too? It seems to have a larger watershed.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
hobkyl

I visited it with permission. I plan on making trips back down there in the next few weeks...and yes that is a larger gully. Seneca Point Gully is a bit further north and the largest watershed to Canandaigua Lake, and the FLLT owns part of that. Bristol Harbour owns the upper part of the gully and despite numerous attempts at getting in touch with someone there I have had no luck. I intend to check it out and go until I get to posted signs...or maybe there arent any?
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Here's 2 falls that we dont have listed. Anyone know of them/have pics?

“Waterfall to Waterfall Walk” June 12 in Hartwick, First Up in 2010 Nature Walk Series in Otsego County
May 28, 2010 by newyorkoutdoors

Botanist Connie Tedesco will kick off the Otsego County Conservation Association’s 2010 nature walk series on Saturday, June 12 at 9 a.m. with a “Waterfall to Waterfall Walk” in the Town of Hartwick. Tedesco will lead hikers to the top of Rainbow Falls and across field and forest to East Hill Falls, enjoying and identifying wildflowers along the way. The mildly strenuous excursion will take approximately 2 hours. Participants should meet at 9 a.m. at Horace and Hazel Tabor Drive, across from John Bush Used Cars on County Route 11.
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

Waverly Glen Falls in Tioga County, Village of Waverly is missing from the index.

http://www.nyfalls.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2826

Also, Buttermilk Falls isn't linked to its thread

http://www.nyfalls.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2962
-----
spec
bioprof
Rookie
Camera Model: Canon T1i

Hi Matt,
Here's a new one for Livingston County. I made a return trip on 8/4 to a very nice waterfall I first visited in 2008. I'm new to this discussion so I'll try to upload maps and pictures as best I can. The falls were disappointing this year because it's been so dry and the water flow was about one-fifth of what I remember (and by mud marks on the banks). It's an easy hike to the top of the falls but a treacherous descent to the base. If I return in the spring for more photographs, I will bring a climbing rope to make it easier to get down and back up. The falls are on Beards Creek which is northwest of Leicester, NY. To get there, drive to Geneseo, continue out (east) on Route 39/20A and then south through Cuylerville and to Leicester. Shortly after passing through Leicester, 39 goes up a hill to the left; you should bear right onto Dunkley Road. After the farm on the right, just past the guard rail is a pull-off where you can park and a trail that goes down to the stream. Turn right at the stream and walk downstream until you get to the edge of the falls. The descent to the base is on the right (facing downstream) and there is a trail which leads to the very steep slope covered with very slippery pieces of shale.
Coordinates of falls: 42 deg 46.525 min N, 77 deg 54.777 min W. In UTM units: 261696.19 mE, 4739993.40 mN
Coordinates of the turn-off/parking: 42deg 46.487 minN, 77 deg 54.891 min W
I could not get my GPS to work so these coordinates are from GoogleEarth.
- Bill Hallahan
Attachments
Here is the waterfall with my assistant, Kate, who was helping me with a summer course development project.<br />Imagine this with 5X the waterflow!  I have more photos but they are too large for this communication.
Here is the waterfall with my assistant, Kate, who was helping me with a summer course development project.
Imagine this with 5X the waterflow! I have more photos but they are too large for this communication.
IMG_4629cr.JPG (114.25 KiB) Viewed 5272 times
Road map. X marks the falls.
Road map. X marks the falls.
GoogleEarth map showing turn-off/parking spot and arrow to falls. Notice the dark canyon below the falls.<br />Be ready for bushwacking and a challenging climb to the foot of the gorge.
GoogleEarth map showing turn-off/parking spot and arrow to falls. Notice the dark canyon below the falls.
Be ready for bushwacking and a challenging climb to the foot of the gorge.
hobkyl

Great photo and directions!

This is also discussed here...
monkeycowmeow wrote:There is a waterfall on Beards Creek in Leicester, NY. I think it's nicer than Fallsbrook Falls on the other side of the Image

~Lisa
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook