Thacher State Park

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS & Applie iPhone

Some great shots, LGD. Especially like the 2nd & 3rd.
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Thanks. Number 3 is one of my favorites from the day as well. The sun & clouds cooperated just as I was packing up to leave that spot, so I quickly unpacked the camera & tripod, set up again and got a few good shots before the sun came back out. The contrast of the rest of them is a little extreme, but you take what you get. I was just glad to have a nice day coincide with a weekend for once.
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

More from my scanning project, a set with the mouse over "before & after" trick of the January challenge. I already posted the shot of me with the ice at the bottom of Mine Lot Falls, here's a set where you can make me go away.

[img3=http://www.nyfalls.com/board/download/file.php?id=3132]http://www.nyfalls.com/board/download/file.php?id=3131[/img3]

I've hit a few more shots of other falls I need to get up when time permits.
13518920a.jpg
13518920a.jpg (163.2 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
13518917a.jpg
13518917a.jpg (164.48 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
Last edited by L_G_D on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Since Saturday was so nice, I of course went to Thacher to see what was happening. Lots of water, but also lots of sunshine to make photography really tough. Here's an HDR of the upper falls on Mine Lot Creek, which turned out OK.

And, I found a new waterfall that I had no idea even existed. This is number 20 for Thacher Park, but it's on a stream that is almost always dry, the reason being that there's a cave just upstream from here that robs most of the water and sends it underground. It's only because of the heavy snow melt this year, plus some rain a few days before that there's any water in this part of the stream. That there's this much is exceptional. Too bad the light was so harsh, I didn't get a very good picture. Even an HDR didn't turn out too well, the exposure range was so extreme. Maybe another day I'll get back there with decent light and good water. Something to look farward to.

LGD
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Love that first one.
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

In the historic marker section, I posted a picture of this marker:

Which describes the nearby Tory Cave. A couple years ago, I had a rare chance to visit the cave, which is normally off limits, with a hiking group and some members of the park staff and a couple of geologists from the NYS Museum. When we got to the cave, let me say I was underwhelmed, calling it a cave is being very generous, more like a crevice if you ask me. I can't imagine spending a weekend there much less a couple of months, or however long the Tory Spy did live there. I don't think he was there during the winter, the cave would give you no protection from the wind and I expect it almost fills with blowing snow. So, below are the two pictures I took while the group milled around and the geologists answered questions.

Looking into the back of the cave, I was standing right at the edge of the opening, so that's pretty much the whole thing.

Looking towards the outside from near the center of the cave, or at least the furthest point in the cave that I could still stand upright.

I've been asked by people I meet in the park what the cave is like and how to get to it, I tell them not to bother. There are a couple of nice caves that you can get to with just a little off trail bushwhack that won't get you thrown out of the park for going outside the fences. I usually tell them to contact the local caving club to get proper permission though.
LGD
wellshorton
Rookie

Visited Thacher State Park yesterday. Indian Ladder Trail is outstanding.

Wells
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

wellshorton wrote:Visited Thacher State Park yesterday. Indian Ladder Trail is outstanding.

Wells
Nice shot, though you need to link to the actual picture, not the page. Is that an HDR? I see some blending errors in the leaves in the upper left. I know from experience it's a tough place to get a good exposure. At least you had decent water, though with all the rain lately, that's not surprising, enjoy it while it lasts!
LGD