Hector Falls - Schuyler County

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Hector Falls

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
33%
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip
No votes
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
67%

Total votes: 3
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

(...cross posted from the Deckertown Falls thread...)
spec wrote:The amount of water flow today was insane at all the falls I visited. Hector was incredible. I went down along the creek "shore" under the Rte 414 bridge to the other side where the DOT Right-Of-Way ends, and hopped into a little notch in the rocks right next to the middle drop, above the private property lines. The top of my head was just about level with the crest where I was standing. I found it amazing that this notch was like a "safe harbor". Wet, but easily manageable, and with a very easy and safe entrance/exit to the banks of the creek directly behind me, where it was quite dry with easy footing.. not really any more "dangerous" than one would expect a creek walk/waterfall climb would be.

This one was taken from the 414 bridge with a wide angle lens.

spec
Last edited by Matt on Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added poll
-----
spec
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Great shots Andy!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Excellent shots... a lot closer than I have been to it.
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Thanks, Matt & Kyle!

Here's a quick 17 sec. video I took while standing in that notch. It was almost like standing in the surf at the ocean the way the water was ebbing onto the rocks at my feet. Just a little colder. ;)

-----
spec
MyBethie
Rookie

Wow! I think you might be a bit crazy, but I admire your determination to "get the shot!" Be careful out there...
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

MyBethie wrote:Wow! I think you might be a bit crazy, but I admire your determination to "get the shot!" Be careful out there...

I am a bit crazy indeed... I will never deny that claim. :) For me, it's not so much about getting the shot as it is the challenge of seeing how close I can safely (and legally) get to a falls, then snap a picture to say "I was there!" Safety is my primary concern while I'm out there. I've slipped and banged up a limb or ended up standing in a pool of water I was trying to skirt around, but <*knock on wood*> I've had no "major" accidents. I tend to err on the side of caution more often than not

I visited the link in your signature -- Great (and rare) views of the lower falls! I'm thinking I may book a stay in The House just to be able to hear the falls as I fall asleep!

spec
-----
spec
MyBethie
Rookie

I hear you... I do a lot of hiking/canyoneering out in Utah and am always with my camera. I can handle slipping and banging me up... just not the camera gear! Hopefully you stay injury free and your camera gear stays dry. Thanks for checking out the link! Another way I've seen people stay leagal and shoot the lower falls is to paddle in from the lake on kayaks and then hike up the falls-- it's pretty steppy at the bottom and isn't too much of a challenge as long as it's not running to high.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

spec wrote:I visited the link in your signature -- Great (and rare) views of the lower falls! I'm thinking I may book a stay in The House just to be able to hear the falls as I fall asleep!

spec
Hopefully the sound of the falls drowns out the 24/7 traffic noise.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com