Site Announcements

A note from the NYFalls.com founder:
Due to a company restructuring, I will be losing my full time job soon. Although it saddens me to leave the company that I have helped build up for the last 14 years to the success it is today, I am looking forward to new opportunities. I am known for my technical, managerial, and creative abilities, and I hope to utilize all of those talents in my next career. I put together a résumé outlining my skills and projects. Please have a look. Although I am open to any management position, I would like to leverage my experience and success with NYFalls.com and NYHistoric.com into a career in the WNY travel/tourism industry. If you know of a company that would benefit from someone with talents and experience, please spread the word. Thank you for your help and support.
Here is my Resume | Discussion topic

Park Fees Rise

Discuss local parks, preserves and lakes here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Park Fees Rise

Postby Matt » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:32 pm

The New York State Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation officials identified $4 million in fee increases to take effect for the 2010 season. The increased revenues are built into the 2010-11 fiscal year budget plan that calls for closing and reduced operations at dozens of state parks and historic sites, and will not change the number of parks and historic sites slated for those cutbacks.

The fee increases include:

Golf Courses. Greens fees will increase various amounts depending on the course. The fee at Bethpage Black, home of the 2009 U.S. Open, will increase $15 per round, from $60 to $75 on weekends and from $50 to $65 on weekdays. Other courses will increase no more than $3 per round.

Ocean Beaches Vehicle Use Fee. The fee will increase from $8 per vehicle to $10 per vehicle at parks with ocean swimming beaches.

"Flagship" Parks Vehicle Use Fee. Fees will increase from $6/$7 per vehicle to $8 per vehicle at parks with significant amenities and high visitation. They are: Bayard Cutting Arboretum, Bear Mountain, Belmont Lake, Bethpage, Captree, Caumsett, Connetquot, Fair Haven, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Fort Niagara, Grafton Lakes, Green Lakes, Harriman/Lake Welch, Sebago and Tiorati, Hempstead Lake, Lake Taghkanic, Letchworth, Minnewaska, Montauk Point, Moreau Lake, Planting Fields Arboretum, Rockland Lake, Saratoga Spa, Southwick Beach, Valley Stream, Watkins Glen and Westcott Beach.

Out-Of-State Camping Surcharge. A surcharge of $5 per night on campsites and $25 per week on cottage and cabin rentals will be added for out-of-state visitors, bringing New York in line with many states in the Northeast that charge an out-of-state differential.

In addition, a mandatory vehicle entrance fee for the Walkway Over the Hudson parking lot in Poughkeepsie will be established at a later date. Voluntary donation boxes, prominently placed with "suggested donation" signage, will also be erected at the Walkway.

These fee increases are helping to offset additional park service reductions for the upcoming season. The new fees will be in place for the 2010-11 operating season. Last year, fees were increased on campsites and cabins, the Empire Passport season pass, marina rentals, and golf courses, while vehicle use fees were unchanged. Fees collected by State Parks are dedicated by law to the operations, maintenance and capital improvement of New York's state parks and historic sites.

New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation oversees 178 state parks and 35 historic sites. For more information on any of these recreation areas, call 518-474-0456 or visit www.nysparks.com
Matt
President
President

Camera Model: Olympus OMD Em-1; E-5
Challenge wins: :star:

Advertisement

Thanks for supporting our site by using our advertisers!

Re: Park Fees Rise

Postby cbobcat49 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:55 pm

"Flagship" Parks Vehicle Use Fee. Fees will increase from $6/$7 per vehicle to $8 per vehicle at parks with significant amenities and high visitation. They are: Bayard Cutting Arboretum, Bear Mountain, Belmont Lake, Bethpage, Captree, Caumsett, Connetquot, Fair Haven, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Fort Niagara, Grafton Lakes, Green Lakes, Harriman/Lake Welch, Sebago and Tiorati, Hempstead Lake, Lake Taghkanic, Letchworth, Minnewaska, Montauk Point, Moreau Lake, Planting Fields Arboretum, Rockland Lake, Saratoga Spa, Southwick Beach, Valley Stream, Watkins Glen and Westcott Beach.

This is simply breathtaking. If they actually have the entrance gates staffed at all times the could probably keep the entrance fee at $7. As it is now, at least at Allegany State Park people can just drive right in. Also if entrance fees are collected it will encourage people to buy an Empire Pass, which I stopped renewing 2 years ago.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
cbobcat49

Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400
Challenge wins: :star1:

Postby L_G_D » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:29 pm

I just renewed my Empire Pass, though I was thinking of skipping this year, considering they were talking about closing the parks I go to most often. I guess that could never have happened, and was just all a bluff. Apparently, the National Park Service gives states a bunch of money to support the state parks, and closing them is just not going to happen. The states can cut back services and amenities, but closing parks outright would cause all federal park money to go away, or something to that effect.
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Postby Matt » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:43 pm

i just renewed too... basically because I have to.
Matt
President
President

Postby cbobcat49 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:36 pm

just curious... why do you have to?
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
cbobcat49

Postby Matt » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:58 pm

for this site. I make over 50 state park visits a year
Matt
President
President

Postby cbobcat49 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:30 pm

oh. of course. that makes sense obviously.
cbobcat49

Postby Matt » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:44 am

then there's that little trick i have to make ti transferable... so I can movie it between cars. ;)
Matt
President
President

Postby George » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:38 am

A little trick? Do tell. I can't haul the kayaks with the Prius. If you don't want to post, a PM would be fine.
George
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Camera Model: Nikon D300, Calumet 4x5

Postby Matt » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:21 am

i adhere them to clear
window stickers
which I can then remove and restick
Matt
President