Stemple Hill Gully

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I had the pleasure of visiting this unknown treasure Thursday afternoon. A few weeks back I did some scouting and pulled over on Stemple Hill Rd. I could hear water rushing down in the gully, so with some help of Ontario ONCOR I was able to locate the owner. He gladly gave me permission, and informed me his land is not posted. He said there was a falls there, however at that time I still thought that any falls in this shallow looking gully would be small. Was I ever wrong. Dont judge a book by it's cover comes to mind.

For any persons wishing to visit, I would recommend contacting the owner (easily found via ONCOR) just to be respectful. A hint...once you get the name and address do a reverse phone # search. You do have to be aware though as the upper portion of the gully is POSTED and the signs look serious. As you are traveling down the road towards the lake, you will see POSTED signs every 20' or so...once they stop you are able to enter the gully. Be cautious though, this is a young and unstable gully. The walls and hills that adorn the creek are very steep and made of mud, loose shale and a bed of leaves. Believe me I had white knuckles and got the shakes a couple of times....probably not best to visit this one alone like I did.

Ok, ok the pics....

“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

wow! About how high would you say the falls in the last few pictures is?
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

cbobcat49 wrote:wow! About how high would you say the falls in the last few pictures is?

My question exactly! ;)

Kyle -- great shots my friend! Thank you for the those, the trip report, and the info on the land/landowner status. I definitely agree that contacting the landowner is a good idea -- out of courtesy if nothing else.

spec
-----
spec
hobkyl

My best guess....around 80'. I wish I was better at determining heights.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

thanks. got this in and marked it as private.
hobkyl

Was able to get out for a couple of hours Saturday and headed down to Stemple Hill, water flow was good and there was still lots of snow and ice in the upper reaches of the gorge. I hope to get back down there some time later in the year to see if this gully stays running throughout the summer. I love winter, but gosh its about time!

--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

hobkyl wrote:My best guess....around 80'. I wish I was better at determining heights.
I think Im going to go ahead and put this closer to 60-70'
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Dang, nice. Really.The find, the pics, the story. david