Indian Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

tjconheady
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon Powershot S3

close to Akron, there's the small village of Indian Falls close to the reservation

I'm not sure where the falls that are behind the name are though.

N 43.02831 W 78.39839

http://www.acme.com/mapper/?ll=43.02831 ... 2076.73800
TJC

www.conheady.net...a cleaner, less biased, less censored, less-Matted forum
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

maybe that's where an Indian, literally, fell... from a cliff or something.
tjconheady
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon Powershot S3

Indian Falls is a hamlet located in New York, USA near the north border of the town of Pembroke and the west edge of Genesee County. As of the 2000 census, the village had a total population of 795. It is named after the waterfall at its center, where the Tonawanda Creek flows over the Onondaga escarpment.
- wikipedia
TJC

www.conheady.net...a cleaner, less biased, less censored, less-Matted forum
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Indian Falls is on Tonawanda Creek. I'd say it's about 50 feet high and is always flowing. I looked for a picture of it and I don't seem to have one. Probably because I've never had a good look at it. The best view is along the side slightly behind the crest. There's a restaurant with a patio that looks like would have a great view but I've never been in there.

There seems to be an access point to the creek about 1/4 mile downstream on the reservation that might be a nice creek walk up to the falls but I haven't done that yet.

Another falls nearby is Morganville Falls near Batavia. About 25 feet high I think. I've only been at the crest of that. All the downstream access points are heavily posted. Here's a link...
http://naturalhighs.net/waterfalls/falls/morgan.htm
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

hmmm, I don't see any 50 foot drops on the topo
cbobcat49

I've only seen it from the side (perpendicular) to the crest.... so I could be wrong with that estimate. But it really seems to be about that high to me though.
40 minimum.

ok, I just asked Julie how high she thought Indian Falls was...

"oh about 25 feet."

So there you have it. :)
Jen

The falls are about 100 feet wide and 20 feet high, and (according to "200 Waterfalls..." by the Freemans) was where a Seneca baby by the name of Hasanoanda - who later changed his name to Ely Samuel Parker - was born.

The Log Cabin Restaurant (on Gilmore Road) is the only place I've found to view the falls. They have a small patio off the parking lot that overlooks the crest. Sometimes the gate to the backyard is open and allows a better view. The back dining area is all windows and overlooks the falls, which were lit by large spotlights the last evening I was there. The menu gives a short history of the falls... and the food is worth the trip!
cbobcat49

The menu gives a short history of the falls... and the food is worth the trip!
What sort of food to shey serve? They seem like a steak -n- potatoes kind of place.

Chris