Fawn's Leap Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

George
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Calumet 4x5

Just up the road from Moore's Bridge Falls. Russel Dunn says to walk along the creek bank, but you are better off walking up the road and then descending just before the sign. The embankment rip rap is actually easier to negotiate than the stream bank. Unfortunately there's a lot of garbage and grafitti, but it's still a pretty falls. Since I was on the way to a long hike and didn't want to get my feet wet, I was unable to cross the creek to get a better angle on the falls. If I return, I'll bring my rubber boots.
Fawn's Leap Falls.jpg
Fawn's Leap Falls.jpg (142.61 KiB) Viewed 17959 times
Fawn's Leap Sign.jpg
Fawn's Leap Sign.jpg (158.37 KiB) Viewed 17959 times
42 10' 50.57"N
74 3' 44.95"W
Last edited by George on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Nice one, when I was there, the water was very high & muddy, my shots look like the river was made of coffee. I did get out into the stream a little ways, and it was fun getting back, but kept the feet mostly dry. Another set of photos I'll have to look up.
LGD
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Interesting tale behind this one. So that's what it takes to get a waterfall named? hehe. :twisted:
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Here's a shot from a cold day in January when the water was high & muddy. Same day I took the shots of the Rat Hole I just posted.

And a summer shot with some people climbing up the falls to jump off the top.

I have more shots that I will eventually post, when I get them scanned.
LGD
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

wow... looks a lot larger with people added for scale.
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Oh yeah, it's a significant waterfall, 30-40 feet maybe? Well, that might be generous, but well over 20 feet, that's for sure, total drop. If it weren't for big brother Kaaterskill (and five cascades) just upstream, it would be the main falls in most towns.

This is a funny series of shots taken of my friend making his way back across the stream from the rock we both balanced on to take pictures of the falls. It was so small we had to take turns, and the trip required some fancy footwork and the help of some luckily placed driftwood to get out there. For the most part, we kept our feet dry.

LGD
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Was in the area around Labor Day.

What great hiking. These falls are more than 20 feet for sure. Thinking 30+. What is unique is the swimming hole created. high walls, deep water. Local kids were jumping them.

A couple of pics. This is right off the road where you see the sign (picture above). Continue south, down stream and very near by is Moore's Bridge Falls.

David
Attachments
IMG_0110small.jpg
IMG_0128small.jpg
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I love the birds eye view you got of this falls! :up:
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook