Twin Glens - Tompkins County

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

Does anyone know anything about Twin Glens in Lansing, Thomkins County? It may also be called "McKinney's Twin Glens" ot "The Twin Glens Unique Natural Area." It is on the Eastern shore of Cayuga, just north of Ithaca between Rte 34 and Cayuga Heights Rd. I happened to spot the waterfalls while scanning the area on Google Earth. I drove up Rte 34 through the area on Saturday kinda scouting things out on my way to Ludlowville Falls. There was no parking on Rte 34 that I could see, and there were plenty of homes along that stretch. I did catch quick glances up both glens from the road as I drove and they look impressive (not to mention fun). I checked on Thomkins County's GIS website, and found that the large waterfall in the southern glen and some of the upper part of that glen above the falls are on a parcel of land classified as "Wild Lands." The lower part of the glen (the Rte 34 end), including two other smaller waterfalls, is all residential, and I'm presuming off-limits w/o landowner permission. In addition, there is a slice of land that has no classification in the Thomkins GIS databsae. It follows the northern glen from Rte 34 to just below the large waterfalls, and across the ridge into the southern glen adjecent to the "Wild Lands" parcel I mentioned above. This parcel appears to belong to the Village/County, as it extends north along the eastern side of Rte 34 for a good distance. I may be way off base too, which is why I'm asking if anyone here has any other information! ;)

I'm hoping to get back in that area soon to check out the roads for signage, especially on Twin Glens Road, where that Wild Lands parcel meets the road.

http://www.theoretically.net/trails/Twin_Glens.kmz
Last edited by Matt on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected county name
-----
spec
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

I've never heard of it. Let us know what you find out. I'd love to check this out over the summer if it's worth it. :cross:

Chris
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

yes, I know of it. it is pubicaly accessible, but bordering a wealthy estate who have been known to call the police.
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Matt wrote:yes, I know of it. it is pubicaly accessible, but bordering a wealthy estate who have been known to call the police.
Thanks for the info! Cool that its accessible, uncool about the Five-Oh being called. If it's publicly accessible, what can the police do? Have you heard anything about how the police have reacted to or resolved the issue when they've been called? I'm hoping to hike/climb there this summer, and would like to make it as stress-free as possible. ;)
-----
spec
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

cbobcat49 wrote:I've never heard of it. Let us know what you find out. I'd love to check this out over the summer if it's worth it. :cross:

Chris
I will indeed let you know more as I find it out. I'm planning to check it out this summer as well. There's also some glens on the other side of 34 a little bit north of here that look intriguing as well.
-----
spec
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Yes please keep us updated. Those falls look awesome!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

the adjacent landowners do it just because they don't want people near their estate. Too bad. The word is out.
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Matt wrote:the adjacent landowners do it just because they don't want people near their estate. Too bad. The word is out.
Welp, I plan on being there at least once this summer. :)

Do the falls have names, aside from Twin Glens?
-----
spec