Site Announcements

A note from the NYFalls.com founder:
Due to a company restructuring, I will be losing my full time job soon. Although it saddens me to leave the company that I have helped build up for the last 14 years to the success it is today, I am looking forward to new opportunities. I am known for my technical, managerial, and creative abilities, and I hope to utilize all of those talents in my next career. I put together a résumé outlining my skills and projects. Please have a look. Although I am open to any management position, I would like to leverage my experience and success with NYFalls.com and NYHistoric.com into a career in the WNY travel/tourism industry. If you know of a company that would benefit from someone with talents and experience, please spread the word. Thank you for your help and support.
Here is my Resume | Discussion topic

Buttermilk Falls - Leroy

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Buttermilk Falls (Le Roy)

Postby Falzguy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:01 pm

I have recently learned that Buttermilk Falls (Le Roy) is now listed on the NYSDEC Open Space Conservation Plan. That is an important step because the plan identifies possible sites for public acquisition.

If you are interested on the plan visit:
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dlf/ ... index.html
Last edited by Falzguy on Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Falzguy

Advertisement

Thanks for supporting our site by using our advertisers!

Postby cbobcat49 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:48 pm

This is indeed good news! I'll see if my clunky dial up can download that 2.21MB pdf file to read it. I wonder if there are any other notable locations listed in there.

Chris
cbobcat49

Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400
Challenge wins: :star1:

Buttermilk Falls (Le Roy)

Postby Falzguy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:59 pm

I don't have time to read the file. If you see anything else of interest listed please let me know.
Falzguy

Postby Matt » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:00 pm

awesome news! Thanks Falzguy!
Matt
President
President

Camera Model: Olympus OMD Em-1; E-5
Challenge wins: :star:

Postby cbobcat49 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:36 pm

wow, that pdf is 500 some odd pages. I skimmed it, stopping at various pages, seems mostly to do with Long Island and the NYC area. Anyway, its encouraging that conservation is on the mind of people in Albany.

Chris
cbobcat49

Buttermilk Falls - Leroy

Postby tjconheady » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:43 pm

Anyone aware of these falls?
TJC

www.conheady.net...a cleaner, less biased, less censored, less-Matted forum
tjconheady
Board Expert
Board Expert

Camera Model: Canon Powershot S3

Postby cbobcat49 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:35 pm

Maybe do you mean Buttermilk Falls in Leroy on Oatka Creek?

It's the falls I was referring to in this post last summer...

Again, I'll present USGS topo maps as an example, or Gazeteers. They show the word "falls" in MANY places on private property. They aren't "leading" people to these falls. They're merely illustrating to whomever views them (the maps) that they are there. Should they leave giant blank areas on these maps where private property is? In my NYS Gazeteer it even shows the full name "Buttermilk Falls" for the one in LeRoy. If that's not going to pique someone's curiosity about what's there, I don't know what else would. And you and I both know the access trail to that falls is off limits. (by a mining or gravel company I believe?)

aah. The good old days. :) Anyway, it's seriously off limits. Which is a shame because it's a really beautiful falls.
cbobcat49

Postby Matt » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:10 pm

There was talk fo this becoming publically accessible land

http://www.nyfalls.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=52
Matt
President
President

Postby Matt » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:17 pm

This falls has a unique rock structures where portions of falls pour out of the middle of the rock face.

From the DEC report:

BUTTERMILK FALLS ON OATKA CREEK - (Region 8) Buttermilk Falls is an
approximately 70 foot waterfall in Oatka Creek. It is the point where the creek drops over the Akron-Bertie Onondaga Dolomite and Limestone Formation in the Town of LeRoy, Genesee County. During periods of low rainfall (perhaps several weeks during the summer) the creek "disappears into the bedrock upstream of the falls and reappears
either at the base of the falls or at points on the rock face. It is a very scenic area, but currently unavailable for public viewing.

Essentially the report means that this is on the list of places the DEC would like to have under ownership.
Matt
President
President

Postby Jen » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:48 pm

A beautiful falls that changes almost daily, they are "technically" off-limits -- but on any hot weekend afternoon you'll find people swimming in the pool at the top of the falls. The property is currently owned by a quarry. There are trails leading to the base of the falls if you know where to look, but the bottom of the gorge is NOT a place you want to be after the sun goes down unless you're very familiar with the area. A sunset picture equals a climb up a trail - or cliff face - in the dark.

It is a beautiful falls that changes almost daily.
Jen

Next