Falls of the Rensselaer Technology Park

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

There may also be some falls on the tributary to the south of the spot you have marked with the yellow pushpin. The trees are too thick to see if there might be something in there on bing. But since it follows the same hillside, there might be something in there. This weekend looks to be rainy/snowy, though maybe Sunday might be nice. I might get a chance to head over that way.
LGD
LoFoo50
Rookie

I was wondering you could get me hiking direction for these falls. I know where the tech park is so I just was wondering where to go from there.
George
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Calumet 4x5

The main falls are pretty easy to find, and the Google Earth screen shot above shows it pretty well. Park in the lot at the MapInfo/Pitney Bowes building, farthest from the building near the road. Cross the road to the field on the opposite side. Follow paths either across the field or along the tree line to the northwest corner of the field. From there you will see a metal bridge and trail sign. Follow the trail to the falls. To get to the bottom of the falls requires a short bushwhack. The safest way do to this is to go well past the falls, descend where it's safe, then walk back up the streambed. Just be careful of the loose shale.

The smaller falls is a little trickier, and it's now been over a year since I was there, so the memory is fading, but here goes. Recent construction may also have changed things since then.

Go in the Tech Park and make the second left (something like Stone Clay Drive)
Park in the back of the Children's Museum parking lot
Cross and walk along the sidewalk to the bridge with iron railing
Before you cross the bridge, go right and pick up the old dirt road
Follow the dirt road along the creek, occasionally you will see red markers
Cross a wooden plank bridge.
About 50 yards after the bridge the trail swings left.
Go right, cross the creek and aim for about halfway up the opposite slope, continuing downstream.
Follow the herd path until you reach the cascades and falls.
Be sure to check out the cascades below the falls.

The only reason to cross the creek above the falls is that it's much safer to descend to the falls from that side than from the other side. I don't know where the trail continues, but it seemed to head upwards.

Good luck! I'd like to return someday and do a little better mapping.
LoFoo50
Rookie

Thank you very much George. I will Be Sure to post some pictures if I actually get there :-)
Eddiebauer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Canon 7d Canon Rebel xti

While in the area of Troy you should also take the time to see the Postenkill Gorge. I have a few shots I will post. Its located on Congress street in Troy NY. Right of off Congress is a small street named Cypress it dead ends to a hill that leads to a hydro plant I actually work there. If you walk down the hill and follow the path to the left you end up in the bottom of the gorge. There is a few waterfalls and a small cave. You wouldn't spend much time there. I can give more info if anyone is interested.

Attachments
IMG_4740s.jpg
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Nice shots, how about making a new post for the Poestenkill Gorge (and any others that don't have their own topic yet) so it can be linked from the main waterfall page? I have a few shots of it, but they were taken in winter and most everything is covered in ice.
LGD
Eddiebauer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Canon 7d Canon Rebel xti

Here are a few pics of a small waterfall in the Oakwood Cemetery not far from the Rennselaer tech park. I don't know if it has a name or not. But it is very unique. It is in a small gorge that comes from a pond in the cemetery. I may try to navigate downsteam sometime as there may be more waterfalls there. I also need to get me a wide angle lens. I have a great 24-105 F4L but it doesn't do the close quarter type of shots well, especially on a crop sensor.
Attachments
IMG_6634s.jpg
IMG_6652s.jpg
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Beautiful shots EB!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook