Falls on Knob Lock Mountain

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Knob Lock Mountain is a smallish mountain in the Giant Mountain wilderness area, and isn't all that interesting except for the wonderful set of waterfalls on a small feeder to a stream called, strangely enough, The Branch. Anyway, a short walk from the parking area for the trail to Hurricane Mountain, you will find this stream. You can either go crosslots directly into the woods from the parking area, skipping the first stream you hit, or you can walk down the road, and find where the stream runs into the drainage ditch along the road and follow the stream up from there. Either way, it's worth the trip, and in most cases there is at least some water running in this stream, of course, the more recent & heavy the rain, the better. So, starting from the bottom and moving up:

This giant cubic block of stone creates a double waterfall off each side, so it deserves three shots:

To get this shot, I'm standing on the very edge of the block of stone in the above photos, one wrong move and a painful tumble backwards would be the result. This is a panorama because I didn't have a wide enough lens (11mm wasn't wide enough - lol) - and there's that lens flare again, IN EACH FRAME grrrr

The right hand set of the above shot, and that lens flare.....

The last one of the set, that I went to at least. The climb along these falls is tricky at best. Well, the thing is, the left side of the stream has all the good view points, but the right side is easier to climb, so if the water is low enough to let you cross safely, then climb the right side. Though I would think twice myself about climbing the left side again, either way...

LGD
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

nice shots,
I'll have to review your posts before I head to the dacks for a photo shoot
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Wow, that was a quick response! Let me know if you want any more info on anything. There's a lot more I haven't posted yet, well, actually, that is about it for the major stuff now that I think about it. At least anything I have pictures worth posting.
LGD
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

fantastic photos. I love the shape of those falls... and the moss-covered boulders. Excellent!
HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS & Applie iPhone

Matt wrote:fantastic photos.
Ditto!
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Thanks, I was mostly pleased with how those turned out, just that lens flare in the later shots bugs me, the sun was just starting to play cat-n-mouse with the clouds and I thought I was OK. Should have shaded the lens with my hat. Oh well.

Anyway, here's an approximate location on google maps. I'll correct it with the GPS point later.
LGD