Cascade Lake Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Looks like this one is listed in the main list, but has no dedicated post yet, so here it is, just needs to be linked. There is a picture posted in the discussion for Roaring Brook (another I'm going to have to do a major set of pics for) but nothing close up.

Got there last week, again, taking advantage of the rainy weather, though it was starting to improve by later in the week, and there actually hadn't been significant rain for a couple days. Of course, it had rained some, but only passing showers. We didn't go the whole week where it didn't rain at least some each day.

You park in the area between the lakes, there are boat launches (no motor boats, of course) and places to picnic, and the trail to the falls leads up from a swampy area on the other side of the bridge. The trail is fairly easy to follow, though at one time, there were many herd paths leading in many directions that could get you turned around. Just head uphill and parallel the stream and you should be OK. Though the lower part of the stream dries up and disappears underground, you can still tell where the channel for it is.

I've been past the main falls, and there are many more on this stream up the enitre side of the mountain. I did take some pictures one tme, but that camera got dropped in the river above Split Rock a few days later and most of the film was ruined. The climb is so treacherous that I really doubt I'll ever try it again.
Last edited by L_G_D on Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LGD
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Great photo with an excellent composition. I linked this up to the index.
HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS & Applie iPhone

Gorgeous photo!
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Matt wrote:Great photo with an excellent composition. I linked this up to the index.
Great, thanks. I still have a bunch more to add that will need linking along with some of the others I've already posted.
LGD
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I'm running so behind on the index... it takes a while to verify and update that and the map. I think I'll do one strong push at the end of the summer.
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

I know, it's hard to get motivated when it's nice and sunny and summer out.... wait a minute, it's raining again, what was I saying? I hear there were some tornados out in western NY, anyone have a run in with them? Hope everyone is OK.....

As for Cascade Falls, I dug up my shots of the stream above the falls and I really don't think they are worth posting. Cheap film in a cheap camera that then got dunked makes for shots that didn't turn out too well. Aside from the fact there was very little water, though I'd hate to think of climbing that stream while there's any more water than there was back then, it's a brutal climb. And to think that was the only trail up Cascade Mountain at one time....
LGD
GovMule
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: Canon 50D & Canon XTi

That is a fantastic shot LGD. Absolutely beautiful. Ran across this shot scouting out some places to stop this fall.
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Thanks, I got lucky with the light, and some other people had just left to give me a clear shot.

It's a great place to visit in the fall, I'll be in the area around the first of October or so. Though the water in some of the smaller streams tends to dry up in the fall, I doubt this year that will be a problem, and the colors usually make up for any absence of water. Matter of fact, I'm in the Adirondacks right now for a week and it's rained the first two days so far.
LGD