Wagener Glen

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I posted this in the Random Outing thread, but either no one has read it or no one who knows about it anyway...so I thought I'd repost in the waterfall thread as it appears there is a large falls in this glen and would like some info on it if anyone has any to share.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v ... &encType=1

Anyone know anything about Wagener Glen? I stopped by there a few weekends ago and found postings. I wrote down the information and sent them a letter to request permission, but havent heard back from anyone. Supposedly owned by the WE & PK Trust (whoever that is).
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I have seen it on maps, and it looks interesting, but I don't know anything about it.

As far as posting this in it's own topic. That helps... this site is indexed by google and having a dedicated page with its own title may help some people that know something find your posts.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

at least 4 waterfalls.... here are 3
http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/#/1s83xjdg4l5kdovd
hobkyl

Unfortunately they arent accessible.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

I'm assuming either you didn't hear back, or you got a "Thanks for your interest, but..." letter?
-----
spec
hobkyl

Yeah I got a letter saying that they couldn't allow anyone in there due to liability. It's owned by a trust board, so it's more than just one person saying no.
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

hobkyl wrote:Yeah I got a letter saying that they couldn't allow anyone in there due to liability. It's owned by a trust board, so it's more than just one person saying no.
Crap! :) I just 'found' this on Google Earth and Bing.... Looks like fun!

So does MItchellsville Creek, just a little bit south of Hammondsport on the western side of the valley. That is on private land, but part of the North Country Trail runs along its rim. Yet another destination for this summer!
-----
spec
mjs64
Rookie

The property is marked as private property, so proceed at your own risk/liability.

I have ventured in Wagener's Glen frequently as I grew up with a vacation home nearby. It is quite beautiful throughout the seasons (I even went in late March - quite the experience but I would not recommend it due to FREEZING WATER when you fall in.

Earlier posts are incorrect. Most of these waterfalls are accessible, including the largest one (at least 100 feet tall (not sheer) and shown in those Bing maps).

To access the largest waterfall, head up from Lake Road (54a). The access point is at the bridge that goes over the stream. This is between Stone Pt and Duke Road. You can park right there on the north west side of the bridge (some old construction lot or something).

The route is through the stream bed, or on the south side, the first quarter mile can be done on private property road. There is a shelter back there that looks like it is used for storage and parties. Large rocks form a small camp ground; I saw a pig roast pen and porta potty there on one occasion. At some point, you have to go down into the stream bed because this property clearing ends. I'd suggest just walking in the stream from the start as it could avoid possible issues with the land owner.

About a half mile down (15 minutes if you're quick, a half hour if you're with middle aged parents) you come upon the large waterfall as you turn a bend. It is a series of smaller waterfalls, the lowest of which you can slide down for a lot of fun (and a bit of a sore butt). I've been here during the early spring when the water was rushing - pretty cool experience but difficult to climb up; as well as during the early fall - less impressive water but able to climb up.

To reach the top of this waterfall, you have to climb on the left side. Towards the top there is a little ledge and a leap of faith - keep to the left. You can also climb up this last 10 foot portion by heading into the falls and climbing up the face. Clearly this is more dangerous and should only be done at low water levels.

Once you're atop, you can get an awesome view of the Glen. You can also walk another 50 feet to see an unscalable 30 foot waterfall. It's pretty cool.

To access the other waterfalls (much smaller but still cool) you must enter the Glen from a different area. If you have a 4x4 and are feeling risky, you could drive right up the access road by the parking area. I would not recommend this. The access is off of rt 78 just south of Tobey road. There is a cemetery and you can park on the street there. Enter on the south west side of the bridge; its a steep climb down but quite fun. There are remnants of some old railway bridge or something down there.

Once you're in the stream bed, you will head east and soon find the first waterfalls. These are just high enough that I would not recommend going down unless the water was low and you're in excellent physical shape to get back up (more on that later). There used to be a large fallen tree that would be of help; I'm not sure if that is there anymore. There are a series of shorter waterfalls to follow (4 or 5 feet) before you reach a 20 foot sheer waterfall that cannot be traversed. From looking on a map, it seems as though this is less than 100 feet from the top of the other 30 foot unscalable waterfall discussed earlier.

A few years ago, I managed to get stuck in this Glen be going down a waterfall that I could not get back up. The water was too high and I could not get a good grip to get myself out. It was very scary. I ended up climbing the side of the valley (in hindsight, even more dangerous) including a 20 foot rock cliff at the end. I was in pretty good shape, 5'10" so not the smallest but not the biggest. At one point, I was holding onto a root with one arm when I lost my footing. This area can be seen if you go down the south east side of the bridge by the cemetery (I climbed up to the right). I'd suggest bringing a long rope with you because you never know what stupid things you may do when you're really excited.

I hope that answers some of your questions... I have been there about 10 times; twice there were other hikers there too. A real hidden gem. I've got some pictures if you're interested... Enjoy!
Last edited by mjs64 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.