Plotter Kill Falls

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS & Applie iPhone

Beautiful photo! And welcome. :)
amd is the best
Rookie
Camera Model: Canon EOS 7D, 50D

Thank you all for your comments!
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

I will definitely have to get back to these, here's a not too bad shot of the main falls:

That's from March when the water was a decent level, I was there yesterday and it was very dry.

Google map, scroll around to see all the fall markers.

Russell Dunn reference, Mohawk Region Guide, pages 53-67
Last edited by L_G_D on Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LGD
paulschw
Junior
Junior

Nick, Nice amount of water in the Plotterkill.
I love that place. Great photo.
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

I'm back......

Went there yesterday after a night of rain and hit the jackpot with the water level. The usual problem, though, when there's enough water to make it interesting, there's enough water to make navigation difficult. I eventually ended up taking off the boots and rolling up the pants and wading in the stream barefoot, didn't bring the water shoes with me. The trails were very muddy and slippery and I lost it once and almost took a tumble but recovered with just some mud stains here and there.

So, a couple views of the falls on what I guess is called Rynex Creek according to Russell Dunn's book. I still need to get there and hike the lower part of the stream and this time, I'll bring the water shoes.

The lower falls on the main Plotter Kill, didn't have much luck with the clouds here, and I was waiting for a while, took a couple of shots at various exposures, then packed in for the next fall. Of course, 5 minutes down the trail and the sun goes behind a cloud for great light. Oh well.

The main falls, captured just when the sun was behind a cloud, otherwise way too much contrast. Plus, the spray was getting on my lens all the time. I had waded out into the middle of the stream for this one. The water was nice on a hot day.

Last edited by L_G_D on Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LGD
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

i love how you make the foreground prominent in your shots. A pleasure to view. Thanks for posting.
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Thanks, I like to include as much as possible to give the "feel" of the place.
LGD
BobStone
Rookie
Camera Model: Nikon D200

There is a 'real' trail to the bottom of the upper falls... follow the north rim trail a fair bit further down stream. It is kinda hidden to the right on a bluff where the trail turns to the left.