Barberville Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Thought I'd start out with my first waterfall post by filling in a couple in Rensselaer County, since it doesn't have any yet :cry:

First up, a really good one, Barberville Falls. This is on Poestenkill Creek (or just the Poesten Kill, since kill means creek or stream in Dutch) and is ~60 feet or so. Long the scene of high school keg parties and hot summer days crowded with people beating the heat, it's now owned by the Nature Conservancy and access is no longer a sketchy sneak in.

Thing is, I had to reach waaaayyyy back into my film archives to find a picture of this one. Apparently, familiarity breeds contempt and I haven't given this one much photo time compared to smaller waterfalls that are miles further away from home. Oh well, maybe I will get over there some time with good light and do it justice.
13502413barbervillefall.jpg
13502413barbervillefall.jpg (130.42 KiB) Viewed 6178 times
New pic I just took a couple hours ago:
dsc4592.jpg
dsc4592.jpg (155.99 KiB) Viewed 6178 times
Here's a google map.

Russell Dunn has this one listed in his Hudson Valley Region Guide on pages 91-93.
Last edited by L_G_D on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
LGD
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

nice shot
Looks like a falls worth re-doing
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

thanks for posting. Eventually I will get these on the list.
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Forgot about Virtual Earth, here's a link, nice shot from the air:

Click here.
Last edited by L_G_D on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LGD
George
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Calumet 4x5

It's my honor to post the first waterfall in Rensselaer County, my home county, on these pages. Barberville Falls are a 90 foot falls on the Poestenkill that have been purchased by the good folks at the Nature Conservancy. A well maintained trail leads to views from both the top and bottom.
Barberville Falls.jpg
Barberville Falls.jpg (217.32 KiB) Viewed 11360 times
Barberville Gorge.jpg
Barberville Gorge.jpg (254.74 KiB) Viewed 11360 times
There are other trails along the creek and ridge that are part of the preserve, but these are separated from the falls trail by inholdings of private parcels. And therein lies the only problem with an otherwise spectacular place. Check out the No Tresspassing sign at the top of the falls:
Posted.jpg
Posted.jpg (241.84 KiB) Viewed 11360 times
What in God's name is this owner thinking? That someone is going to make a life-threatening traverse to look in his back window? That someone is going to climb 90 feet of slickrock to raid his birdhouse? Put the sign on a tree instead of bolting it to the rock. The only explanation for this is the old joke - why does a dog lick himself? Because he can.

And now the unfortunate ugly. This is a reminder that you are in rural Rensselaer County, where the family trees don't have many branches:
Barberville Graffiti.jpg
Barberville Graffiti.jpg (195.72 KiB) Viewed 11360 times
Don't get me wrong, this is a beautiful place, and if you are in the area you should visit. But why can't we just get along?
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Hmmm... I wonder how long that sign has been there... and how many winters it will last?
Great photos and info. Thanks for sharing.
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

From what I remember, that posted sign has been there a long time, or it gets replaced a lot. That's why I took the shots above from further to the right, where it's less obvious and obnoxious. I would guess the land owner up on the top of the hill got a little fed up with people climbing the falls and causing a nuisance, since that used to be the big party spot back in the day.
Last edited by L_G_D on Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LGD
George
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Calumet 4x5

Nice pics LGD. Sorry I jumped your claim on being the first to post in the county - didn't see a link from the Waterfalls page. Keggers by the falls, huh? Personal experience? I'll bet it kept the rescue squads busy, just like Poestenkill Gorge does now.