Arkwright Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

randybruyere

True.....I just wish that these occurrences never happened. We all are going to miss out on a lot of relaxation and adventures.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

There are a couple of things that can be done. For one, as members of this community and enthusiasts, we tend to have more respect for the land that we traverse. Hopefully the responsibility that we culture here has an impact on how these lands are treated and we avoid angering any landowners kind enough to leave their glens open. There also the possibility that by respecting landowner's land and welcoming them to our community and by demonstrating responsibility, they may allow our group to "tour" their glens and falls or whatever. I have been invited a few times to visit private falls, but my priority now it to cover public ones.

Secondly, by supporting agencies like the Finger Lakes or Genesee Valley Land Trusts and the Nature Conservancy, we support the possibility of easements and acquisitions that may preserve places like these and possibly open them to the public (like with Grimes Glen).
randybruyere

this is true...Many people do make the effort to preserve these sacred lands; it is the few that mess it up as they have no real understanding as to what they are destroying. Speaking of Glens Falls and the Finger Lakes, I have been there many times and enjoyed them even with the pollution/trash that is in them and around the rims of the lakes.

With all due respect, we all need to put forth the effort to maintain these lands...
Mark J
Senior
Senior

Good discussion, a few points...

1. You are not likely to be charged with trespass unless the land in question is fenced, improved or adequately posted. It is not trespassing to enter unposted, unfenced, unimproved property unless YOU have been told (orally, in writing, or by means of a sign) by the OWNER not to enter. If you leave when requested by the owner or a law enforcement officer, you are unlikely to be charged with trespass unless you have committed some further violation such as an act of vandalism, public intoxication, etc.

2. Carrying and using a trash bag while hiking any waterfall or creek actively demonstrates your respect for the land and for the landowner. Obviously destroying natural features or leaving trash behind are likely to increase your risk of being charged with trespass.

3. Respect posted signs. There are plenty of unposted places to explore.

Have fun, be safe, be respectful,

Mark J.
Scott
Rookie

Mark J wrote:Good discussion, a few points...

1. You are not likely to be charged with trespass unless the land in question is fenced, improved or adequately posted. It is not trespassing to enter unposted, unfenced, unimproved property unless YOU have been told (orally, in writing, or by means of a sign) by the OWNER not to enter. If you leave when requested by the owner or a law enforcement officer, you are unlikely to be charged with trespass unless you have committed some further violation such as an act of vandalism, public intoxication, etc.

2. Carrying and using a trash bag while hiking any waterfall or creek actively demonstrates your respect for the land and for the landowner. Obviously destroying natural features or leaving trash behind are likely to increase your risk of being charged with trespass.

3. Respect posted signs. There are plenty of unposted places to explore.

Have fun, be safe, be respectful,

Mark J.
1st off I am NOACCESS ( just couldn't remember my password :oops: ) My best friend who is a DEC officer in Chautauqua has helped me post our property. So he is well aware that it's posted. Problem is they (as in the bad apples) take them down. We don't want to keep anyone from enjoying the falls but, if enjoying them is climbing on, jumping off, camping, shooting, cutting down our trees & leaving trash WE DON'T WANT YOU THERE. Now 99.9% of you on here are good people & we know that. If you would like to visit just PM or E-mail me. WE WILL STILL BE CUTTING ANY ROPES that are there. We have quite a collection of fine quality rope.....so if you bring it take it home or it's ours. Some say the county should buy the falls which would be fine, however keep in mind there are several private properties you have to cross up & down stream to get to the falls. So connecting it to county land is near impossible (food for thought). Take care & Matt sorry for the new login.....just couldn't remember my other one.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Scott wrote: We have quite a collection of fine quality rope.....so if you bring it take it home or it's ours.
:lol: that's great! :lol:
randybruyere

Thank you for the information....we will do so upon discreet email.
Mark J
Senior
Senior

It's great to have a landowner participating in the discussion! My practice when seeking permission to enter posted private property is to obtain and carry written permission from the landowner. That way I have evidence that I am not trespassing should any issues arise with law enforcement or others.

In another thread, we've been discussing the Cascades of Attica. These falls were in recent years posted against trespass, and news of this "off limits" status spread among the waterfall community. Apparently new owners have lifted the ban on visitors. It's a good example of why it's not necessarily effective to "post" one's land in an online forum... ownership changes with time, and the hiker in the woods can only rely on the presence or absence of posted signs or fences to know the current status of the land.

Another falls where a key access point changed hands in recent years is the Blue Hole in Rattlesnake Gulf in Otisco. Much of the area around this creek is posted, and understandably so as much of the land is very steep and subject to landslides. But the falls is still accessible if you know your way around and realize that there is often more than one route to a given destination. Another one that comes to mind is Great Gully in Union Springs -- some trails and access points are posted, but that doesn't make the falls off limits. Just find a lawful (unposted) access, usually on another owner's property.

And again, carrying a trash bag to pack out someone else's litter is a great way to show that your intent is not to trespass but to be a respectful visitor.

Mark J