Cascades of Attica

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Average. It wasn't roaring but it wasn't low. In a dry summer it may dry to a trickle by August.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
cbobcat49

Taken on Sunday:

The upper falls...

We didn't go down to the base of the main falls. I know there's a rope you can use to get down there. At least there was last time I was here many years ago.

An interesting sign we saw along the way. The town must have run out of "truck going uphill" signs. :)
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

35 mpg is awfully slow for a climb that steep.
i have in my log here that this site has 4 falls. is that right?
cbobcat49

There's the small 15 footer that's in the picture. Then there's a giant 60-80 foot falls a bit downstream from that that spills into a deep gorge. There's a small cascade similar to the upper falls that's below the large one. We did not climb down into the gorge on Sunday to see that one. The fourth one may be the one upstream from the bridge that you posted an aerial shot of. We didn't see that because the land on that side of the road was heavily posted.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Got a chance to go to the Cascades of Attica yesterday. I couldnt find all 5, that I've read about...but the main falls was pretty spectacular and made the drive worth while. Access to the bottom of the gorge is risky and takes some nerves of steel-and coming back up is pretty sketchy too. There were local kids (young) that were hanging around the ridge while we were down in the gorge, they began throwing rocks down the waterfall despite seeing us there. We yelled at them, and could not find them by the time we scurried up the steep walls to get out. Definately worth the trip...just wish we had gotten there earlier as the lighting was very hard to work with it.

“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
cbobcat49

Nice pics! It the rope still there to use to get to the main falls?
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

If it is, we could not find it.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
cbobcat49

I last saw it in 2003, so it may be gone now. We were there a few weeks ago but didn't bother trying to get to the base of the main falls.